Help with back contour options...

exit1111

I was wondering if anybody could give me a description of warmoth back countours in relation to my guitars. I have a 62 reissue with a thin c shape neck that I imagine would be comparable to warmoths "standard thin." I also have a new Hot Rod 62 reissue with a much fatter c shape neck that I LOVE. What I'm wondering is which back shape will be closest to this: "Fatback" or "59 roundback." Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would think that the '59 roundback would be closer to the Hot Rod than the fatback.  I've always heard that the fatback was like a Nocaster neck, and the '62 Hot Rod's I've played didn't feel quite that big.

Off ttopic, but what are you planning to bolt this bad boy onto?  The '62 RI, or a project guitar?

Cheers,
Rose

Man! nothing lik a huge neck! Go fatback! Perhaps you'll need some time to accostumed to it, but then it will wrothwhile!

That's my think too, but obviously you need to make your own decision. :sign13:

Thanks for all the advice. I will be bolting this onto a project guitar. Most likely a Black Eric Johnson body and I'm having a luthier finish the neck in nitro. I'm planning on maple with a Brazilian rosewood fretboard. I thought that the 59 would be closer to the Hot Rod as mentioned. Though sometimes I think I would like the fatback better after playing it a bit. I'll have to try and find a nocaster at a guitar shop to test. The only other delemma I'm running into is that I want a 9 or 9.5 inch radius but can only get that on a vintage modern neck which has 22 frets, which personally, I am bothered by. Maybe they'll do a custom order for me. Thanks again for your responses.

i have a fat back neck, it is quite large. you probably want the 59. when anyone picks up my guitar they coment on it's thickness to which i say "that's what she said."
i have large hands and i like it now but it took some getting used to. i love the neck but next time i'll get a 59 or srv.

I note you're getting the neck finished.

I'm waiting for my raw 59 neck and if thats too fat I'll get it sanded down. Better get too thick than too thin, i reckon.

Ted said:
I note you're getting the neck finished.

I'm waiting for my raw 59 neck and if thats too fat I'll get it sanded down. Better get too thick than too thin, i reckon.

But you've gotta worry about sanding through to the trussrod when you go that route...

To the OP, what's wrong with that extra fret?  It gives you more options, especially when soloing in Em.  At worst, you can have the luthier finishing the neck sand off the extra fret.  My guitar tech does this from time to time for people that HAVE to have it gone.

If it's the pickguard issue that's bothering you, a much easier fix to just take a dremel to the pickguard.  Grind it down just enough to slip it off, but not enough to be visiually noticable.

I really do think that a '59 with a 1-5/8" nut width will get you right at the Hot Rod neck.

My $0.02
-Rose

Back