Help with active PU bass wiring

ezas

I am working on my first Bass (for a friend) and my first set of active PU's. I have searched high and low for a wiring diagram for this ESP B-4e bass. In the process of working on it, meaning pulling the wiring in and out of the cavity one wire broke off and another was hanging by a couple of strands. The pots that I had to solder are the Volume and Blend knob. (the three tone knobs are working fine) The volume is working, seemingly as it should. The blend knob is working in one direction, but turned full counter-clockwise the volume is turned all the way down.

On the volume pot I soldered the white wire to the far left lug in the pictures below. I did not see what lug the wire had broken off of, but this lug had at tiny bit of broken wire right in the middle of the solder on the lug.

On the blend knob it was the center lug that the wire broke off on. I was pretty sure that it was the lower lug, in the picture it came off of. But the top lug also has a big blob of solder with nothing connected.

I came here because the turn around time on support from ESP is a couple of days. There is no hurry to get it back to the owner but I'd really like to mark this project on the to-done list. And I know there are some really knowledgeable people on this board.

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_1288 (Large).JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_1289 (Large).JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1290 (Large).JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 331
Follow any diagram for blend pot wiring. For volume, you must first identify the placement in the circuit, since you implied that there is a preamp. The first terminal will be the input, the second terminal will be the output, and the third terminal will be the ground, however.

It's 3 active tone pots, a volume knob and the blender. I can't make heads or tails out of it. So many things are jumper ed from one thing to another.

The blender diagrams I find have a wire on both top and bottom center lugs and I only have one wire for a center lug.

There are three white wires attached to all three lugs of the volume pot. The right most lug of the volume is jumpered to the left top lug of the blender pot. (all as looking at the photos below). A separate white wire goes to the bottom center lug of the blender pot. (this is one I reattached so it might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is where it broke off of). A black wire connects the lower right lug to the upper left lug on the blender pot.

Everything else on the volume and blend pots are grounds. And there are a lot of them.

The white wire from what I assume is the pre amp goes to the center lug of the volume  pot. The left lug on the Volume pot looks like it goes to the bridge pickup. And the white wire on the right lug of the volume pot comes from what looks like the Neck PU.

It looks like I am missing the 'source' from the bridge. What looks like is most likely the neck 'source' looks like it might be the white wire that I reattached to the left lug of the volume pot. It seems like that white wire should be going to the blender pot. Except that top left lug really looks like a wire had broken off, and the general direction of the loose wire was towards that pot.

I hope you can follow that. I really appreciate your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1291 (Large).JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1293 (Large).JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 298
Moving the wire for the 'other' pickup to the blend knob took care of the problem.

Appreciate you steering me in the right direction (use any blender diagram)

Back