Help with 3-way switch problem?

RadsRock

OK, I'm hoping this will be something obvious to those who have a true understanding of wiring (as opposed to the likes of me, who thought he could follow a diagram  :sad:).

2 humbuckers, 2 volumes, 1 tone, Les Paul style 3-way switch.  Issue is that when pickup selector switch is in the middle position, turning the volume down fully for EITHER the neck or the bridge pickup kills ALL output.  The controls seem to work properly when only 1 pickup is active. 

I used this diagram from Seymour:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_1t_3w

Where'd I go wrong?

I  came across this and i believe on stew macs information i found the answer.
Where the black wire from the pick ups go into the volume pots, you want to swap the lug that is soldered to with the black wire going to the selector switch.
So you swap round the two black wires as in which lug there soldered to.
Something to do with the electronics and it being done is series or parrallel wiring i believe.
If it was stew mac then you'll find the proper answer why that works on there

If you wired it acording to the drawing you provided, it will work

It sounds like you got the switch before the volume or something along those lines. Each individual volume should be controlled prior to switching.

just take your time and trace out all your signal paths

Well hmm... do 3-way selector/2 volume guitars usually work this way (that is, either volume controls both pick-ups)?

I found the Stew Mac info Jim mentioned, and they say this:

Alternate volume control wiring
You can wire both of the volume controls of a Les Paul (or any other dual volume control instrument) so that you can blend the volume of the pickups independently. This solves the problem at the middle position of the selector switch in which turning down one volume control affects both pickups.

1217_0133_2.gif

This is how standard Les Paul style wiring works.

Swapping the wires, as noted above, is the way to not have the volumes interact this way.

Thanks everyone.

I like it better already, just knowing it wasn't something I screwed up!

I'm going to let it be until I get a set of Triple Shots, then probably use the Stewmac mod when I put those in.

For anybody that has done 2 volumes that way, do you prefer it?  Any drawbacks?

Thanks again.

Back