Help! Which contour?! And more!

sebby123

I am going to embark on making my Reb Beach Suhr replica on Warmoth the specs are as followed :

Strat body :
Mahogany body
Flame Koa top
S-S-H
Contour heel
Clear Satin
“O” input jack
Wilkinson bridge

Neck:
Mahogany with Pau Ferro fret wood
Clear Satin
Fret : SS6105
Compound radius : 10“-14”
Abalone dots
Sprezel tuner hole 25/64”
Tusq nut
Flame Koa Veneer
Nut width: 1.650”

Hard ware:
Gotoh Wilkinson Bridge
Sprezel locking tuners
Bare Knuckle Pickups:
Nailbomb , Trilogy Suite
5 way selector switch
500k pots

Now these are all to my taste as keeping most of the specs true to the Reb beach model, most notable is that I’m getting a mahogany neck with a Pau Ferro neck instead of all Pau Ferro,
Anyways my debate is about what neck contour.Basically my guitarist has a guitar made by Warmoth amazing guitar with a thin neck but this neck hurts my hand (alot) as it is to thin, I’m used to my Gibson Les Paul Studio. I can fly on my guitarist standard thin neck but I want something in between my Les Paul and the Thin neck thinking maybe a 59 round back? or maybe a wizard what do you guys think?

Wizard is the thinnest neck Warmoth makes. I thought I was following until I got to that part. :icon_scratch:

Okay, who wants to put in the "Go to Guitar Center and try out necks, take notes" and paste the chart?

I'm a bit confused.  The thin neck on your friend's Warmoth hurts (which contour is his?), your considering a Wizard (which is the thinnest neck Warmoth offers), a standard thin feels great, but you're also considering a '59 roundback, which isn't thin at all.

it looked a little bigger to me guess i got confused and actually ive gone to GC and played lots i like the eric johnson necks and luke necks.
I just want something thats inbetween a paul neck and a standard thin hmm... Sorry for the confusion

The standard thin neck was the one that hurt my hand like hell im used to les paul's

just a note on the side: you DO know that Reb Beach's sig had a solid pau ferro neck, and not a mahogany neck, and a solid koa body, and not a koa top on mahogany...

As said above the specification's were true to most of his not all of them most notably that one
I just changed the order to a Rosewood neck with a Ebony fret Board.

Also reb beach has 2 different suhr's one that is solid koa and one that has a mahogany body that was not his signature model.
Im not a huge Reb Beach fan just love the look and feel of his suhr model.
This is just my take on it

sebby123 said:
As said above the specification's were true to most of his not all of them most notably that one
I just changed the order to a Rosewood neck with a Ebony fret Board.

Also reb beach has 2 different suhr's one that is solid koa and one that has a mahogany body that was not his signature model.
Im not a huge Reb Beach fan just love the look and feel of his suhr model.
This is just my take on it

I see. I was just curious. A rosewood neck with ebony board will feel and sound awesome. with a great mahogany body (preferably korina with koa top!), it will make a HUGE sounding guitar.

Hmm never thought about korina i like the added mids description i only see black korina is that the body you mean?

Also! ive been looking at figured redwood and it looks amazing! but i cant find any Tone-O-meter on it? How does it compare to Koa

Rosewood is only a topwood I believe. No influence on tone, except marginal influence on an LP or other cap-topped.

Well im curouis how a korina body with a redwood top would sound? redwood has no tonal qualities that add to the body wood? if i understood you correctly?

What he's saying is this, order of importance are neck wood, body wood, top wood.  That's right.  Your neck affects tone more than top wood.  Top woods are for looks, IMO.

Alright so after much research i decided not to get a replica something more me i guess

Going for a soloist body exactly like this Binding wood etc. :
Mahogany with Red wood top and black binding

ps3360c.jpg

And neck like this:
Rosewood with Ebony fret board

sn6136a.jpg

Thanks for all the help! will be posting pics as soon as i get them

Go for it man!

That redwood looks like a quilt! As in the kind you sleep in, not as much like what's normally found on maple.

Back