HELP: Sustainiac Pickup in guitars with Warmoth Metallic or Flake finishes?

WarmothNewb

As the title indicates, I'm looking to make a guitar that has a Sustainiac pickup in a guitar with either a metallic or flake finish (from Warmoth).

However, the info on the Sustainiac website says the following:

"Pickguards with aluminum or copper "mirror" effects, or some metallic finishes on the guitar body: Remove the foil from around the pickup area on pickguards. The magnetic pulsations from the driver induce pulsating "eddy" currents into the conductive aluminum or copper. These in turn radiate their own magnetic pulsations. The bridge pickup responds to these magnetic pulsations. The end result is that the desired magnetic balance between driver and bridge pickup is compromised. We remove the shielding foil that comes on Jems and also US-made Strats from around the pickups. You can keep the foil over the electronics cavity. If we do your installation into a Strat, Jem, etc., then we include this service. ON THE OTHER HAND: We put a Sustainiac into one of Steve Vai's all-mirror guitar and it worked great. Presumably because there was SO MUCH aluminum that the circulating electrical currents were ALL DISSIPATED before they reached the bridge pickup."

I took that to mean that to mean that metallic finishes (or flake finishes which have traces of metal in it) would cause some issues for a Sustainiac to function properly.

I called Warmoth to ask if there was any metal in their paint, to which they said there was.

So I e-mailed Sustainiac to ask them about this ordeal and they said the following:

"Most “metallic” finishes have no metal and are not conductive.  Therefore they are OK.  Don’t know about the Warmoth.  You could ask them.  I have never had any metallic-looking finish cause a problem.  What we usually do is a quick “dry-run” installation just to make sure.  We describe this on our Stealth PRO page."

But I can't do the "dry-run" installation since that requires some soldering and connecting to the guitar body, which would render the return policy void since it's been tampered with.

So does anyone here know if the metal in either Warmoth's metallic or flake finishes are conductive or not?
Or better yet, if a sustainiac will work with those paint jobs?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the heads up.
Any clue how I could find the guy? As my handle would indicate, I'm new around these parts...

I'm not the Ty at Warmoth, sadly.  Sorry I can't help you!

I think metal flake finishes are awesome, regardless!  And, the Sustainiac is cool as hell!  :headbang:

Back