Help setting up a spray gun

Hello I was wondering if some of the finish guru's might be able to give me some guidelines on how to set up a jam gun that a friend gave me.  Ok so I have a big compressor,  100 gallon or so and 5 hp.....  I have a moisture trap right at the compressor, and a regulator at the compressor.  My questions are:  Should I move the regulator to the gun end of the hose?  What should the PSI be when I pull the trigger?  Do I need another moisture trap at the gun? 

I have played around with this thing filled with water......  it only has about a pint can on it, but it seems like the gun empties way too fast.  I read somewhere online that you set gun so the maximum amount of paint will be pulled out, but that doesn't make any sense, seems like there was too much liquid coming out.  Also when I just hit the trigger, there is a spot on the trigger's action right at the beginning of the trigger's stroke where it allows air out, but no liquid. 

This thing has a couple of adjustments, one for the fan pattern up by the nozzle, one that adjusts the needle, I guess an air regulator that the trigger actuates......  I just don't know the first thing about this tool, and I am hoping the good dudes on the forum might be able to help a brother out in figuring out how to set it up.

Also, is this little jam gun going to have enough capacity to shoot a coat of laquer on a guitar in one shot?  Or should I bite the bullet and buy a regular gun for laquer and use this one for bursts and staining.  I bet I can really get good stain penetration with 40PSI behind the liquid..... 

Anyhoo...... Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions........

Back