Help required - building a guitar.

Chissagi

Hello, everybody!

I am in a little pickle here. Since I am new to the whole technical world of the guitar, i require some aid. My plan so far is to build a 6 string V-2 shaped guitar with a white solid finish, 2 volume knobs and one tone knob and two humbuckers. So far I have tried to figure out a little bit about different types of wood for the guitar, but I have not gotten very far.
The type of music i play is mostly metal, and i want this guitar to be fit for the task.

First off - if I am looking for a brighter tone in the guitar, what type of wood should i use for the body, and which for the neck and fretboard?

Also, i wonder which humbuckers that provide good tone for metal. I would like to have one that provides some clarity, and not too much of a chaotic sound.

I am also wondering what type of electronics i need to install 2 volume knobs, 1tone knob and 2 humbuckers.

Any help will be much appreciated!

The classic Rhoads setup for metal is an Alder Body with or without a Floyd and 2 EMGS.

Alder is light weight and has a good broad response, can help produce a bright and clear sound.
Maple neck is most common, sturdy and bright.
Ebony fretboard is going to give a little extra, but just a little. manily it's cool 'cause it's black! hahaha

Check out EMGs, the 81 is the most popular for metal, but the 85 is great too.
For passive pups for Metal, I use the BLUSA  XL500, it's awesome, also "the Man" Bill Lawrence makes his pickups by hand under the Wylde brands name, they are great too. I do not like the Dimebucker, it sounds....squishy?

For a bit less output and more old school response, but not a PAF sound, The winner is the Duncan Custom 5, it's a great hard rock pup. Although it tends to smear with excessive speed.

I like to read the reviews on Harmony-Central.com becasue they are written by regular joes who just tell you what they think.

^agreed - Alder makes a nice bright guitar. Can never go wrong with a maple/maple or maple/ebony combination.

My favorite pick for pick ups.

Seymour Duncan - JB or Distortion. Great for metal but versatile also.

i love my dimarzio super distortion. definitely a huge fan. i've also heard randy used them in a few of his guitars (les paul, i think). but who knows what he really used. but what i do know is how crystal clear they can be on a clean tone, and how crunchy and awesome they are with some overdrive. i've never tried one, but i've heard good things for the super 2 in the neck.

and i second the JB suggestion. i love mine, maybe more than my super distortion now. it's close :icon_biggrin: but i'm not sure. the Jazz sounds amazing in the bridge. at least clean. a little muddy for me with some overdrive, but that might be the crappy amp i'm running at the moment

Back