help me pick a humbuckers

sundin4prez

hi..i recently just bought a epiphone sg ,  the one with 3 pickups......well i bought without mr trying for cheap and plug it in and everything i play is so dam distorted....does anybody have suggestions for a new bridge pu that wont cost me a arm and a leg.....by the way i play pink floyd sounding tunes

:blob7:

Having just rewired an Epiphone LP for a kid, try replacing all the pots/caps/wiring first, the quality of the wiring/electronic parts in Epi $500 class guitars is appalling and certainly could be a contributing factor.

What do you mean by "an arm and a leg"? There are tons of different choices as to replacement HB pickups, most are going to run about $100/ea.

hey

id have to ask...what are you plugging in to? When i was eleven and didnt have an amp i used to plug into my stereo system and that would distort like crazy.

Brian

hi,  im plugging it into a marshell half stack that ive had for years... my other humbucker guitars sound good on it but not this epiphone..............im good with spending $100 dollers each on pickups but i dont want no 200 dollar a peice things that my local shop has.......

any suggestions.......i will change the pots during the week or next weekend to see if theres a difference

thanks...

Well, you could do it like a vintage SG custom, and put SD '59s/PAFs necks in the neck/mid postions and a bridge at bridge.  I just finished the Quilt Strat Custom build and used a Rio Grande TX BBQ set in neck/bridge and an SD Jazz in middle position, that works REAL well, I can use the Jazz mid position for rhythm and the TX/BBQ for lead.

I don't know what they use for PUs these days, I have a couple of Epiphones, an early '90s ES-335 and a '57 TV model LP Special copy from late 80s/early 90s, the humbuckers in the 335 are good enough (sound pretty damn close to SD '59 PAFs or what comes stock on a Gibson of the same flavor) that I never bothered to upgrade them.

thanks ill try the sd's......the sg just bugs me bacause i cant get a nice sound out of it......distortion or more distortion... watcha like?

musiciansfriend.com

music123.com

http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/DimarzioPickups.html

etc

jackthehack said:
Having just rewired an Epiphone LP for a kid, try replacing all the pots/caps/wiring first, the quality of the wiring/electronic parts in Epi $500 class guitars is appalling and certainly could be a contributing factor.

What do you mean by "an arm and a leg"? There are tons of different choices as to replacement HB pickups, most are going to run about $100/ea.

Add to that the machine heads and pickups. As a guitar teacher I always warn people, particularly young players who like LPs, away from purchasing this dam awful brand of guitars. How Epiphone have continued o have maintain good sales figures in todays market baffles me.

My advice is this: if you want to spend little but get a quality humbucking guitar sound check out the Yamaha AES or (even better IMHO) the PRS SE Singlecut models. Both make any epiphone models look like pieces of mouldy cheese.

sundin4prez said:
do you guys no any sites where i can buy pickups besides warmoth?

Aamp's (http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com/), I unjustly bashed them in one of my previous posts because they didn't have what I ordered in stock.  They don't have an online inventory system, so if you're in a hurry, call to find out what they've got.  Bruce almost always answers the phone, and he's a really nice guy.  He doesn't carry SD pickups though.

thanks guys...i have pricier guitars but i was offered the epiphone for such a good price....i plan on gutting the whole thing and starting from scratch.,.....by the way i love the neck on this

Back