Help me pick a finish

I

ildar

I bought this body as a gift to myself. I decided I needed a Strat again. Nothing really special, nice quilt lam on a hollowed poplar back, it'll be converted to a uni rout, wilkinson trem.
My dilemma: I can't decide on a dye color. I'm vacillating among several: black, red, blue and tealish/turquoisish.
Hardware and guard colors will deifinitely be dictated by finish color, as will neck and board wood, though I'm really leaning toward a pau ferro board.
Suggestions?

Attachments

• S2333a.jpg
    S2333a.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 245
I really like the look of the red dye on a quilt maple front...  Really makes the thing look on fire.  Or perhaps a cherry or honey burst would give a nice effect too?

tigers eye.two steps first dye black, sand back to desired level then stain amber.

Thanks for the ideas.
I already have a guitar with a finish similar to tiger's eye, but that's a great idea.
Bursts are a bit beyond my skill level, so I would have to use a single color. Red would look really good, I'm thinking a black pearloid guard, maybe chrome hardware...

Please don't use a pearloid guard on that top. Let the figuring grab the eye without the distraction of a busy looking guard :icon_thumright: :icon_biggrin:

willyk said:
Please don't use a pearloid guard on that top. Let the figuring grab the eye without the distraction of a busy looking guard :icon_thumright: :icon_biggrin:

Ok, matte black then, or maybe even cream? Anything but white. I don't really like pearloid as a rule, just thought it might look nice in this case.

I'm going to jump on the red bandwagon here.  I'm picturing something like this:

RedStrat.jpg

Aged white plastics with a gold adonized pickguard.  Add a Cocobolo fretboard and we're in business!  Sadly, Warmoth won't do Cocobolo, or I would already have one.  *sighs*  A guy can dream anyway.

Yeah, that's close to what I'm thinking. Not sure about the gold guard though, still leaning toward black.
Kind of like this, but think white korina neck instead of maple.

Attachments

• redstrat.jpg
    redstrat.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 230
Ildar, thats a cool mockup.  I didn't put a black guard on mine because unless it's ebony or maple, I think black guards look cheap.  The mockup you did is very classy though.  I'm a big fan of the tuxedo plastics.  Good luck on whatever you decide on.

-Rose

Thanks for the kind words. And thanks to all who made suggestions.
Now to choose pickups...hmmm...

Back