Help Me Choose A Pickup Color

jtroska

I'm looking at 2 pickups I have laying around and trying to decide which color would look best.

Here's a snapshot of a plain black pickup in the ring...
CIMG1039.jpg

Here's a "zebra" pickup..
CIMG1040.jpg

The plain black would be the quick easy choice because it's a the kind of pickup I want to use. The zebra-colored pickup is a nice color but not the kind of pickup I want to use. So If I decide I really want the zebra color, I'd have to buy a new pickup in zebra to replace the black one.

I really like the zebra color but there's another catch... The neck pickup I want only comes in black or white. Black would be the better choice. But does one zebra and one black look ok together?
CIMG1041.jpg

Or would it look better to have both pickups black?

Basically, the choices are: 2 plain black pickups; or 1 black and one zebra. Which option would you guys go with?

I think the black and white one looks better, but if you black one gives you the sound you want, I'd use the black one.  Then upgrade for a new pickup at a later time.

BT

riverbluff said:
I'd use the black one.  Then upgrade for a new pickup at a later time.
BT

Ditto that, but if you want to go with the Zebra and black, I would but the zebra in the neck position, with the cream facing the neck, if all you're concerned about is looks...  Might look alright  :dontknow:

Well, the zebra would have to be at the bridge position.  I want to try a Sustainiac in the neck position and that only comes in plain black (or plain white, which I know I don't want).  I can't put the Sustainiac in the bridge position.  So the neck pickup has to be all black and the bridge can be black or zebra.

I like the zebra in the bridge, kind of breaks things up visually.

I think metal covers would look good, Gold perhaps?  I don't have any metal covered humbuckers so I really don't know if those covers will work, but I think it would look great, Maybe silver or chrome to match bridge now that I look at the pic again.

My next choice would be all cream, No black at all. with cream rings.

How about zebra in both potitions?
Get a black single coil sustaniac and a cream single coil sized bucker for the neck. Could work.

outta curiosity, what pickups? you say the one you want doesn't come in zebra, i'm sure there is a sutable substitute that will get the sound you want.

DiMitriR33 said:
outta curiosity, what pickups? you say the one you want doesn't come in zebra, i'm sure there is a sutable substitute that will get the sound you want.

The neck pickup I want to try is a Sustainiac by Maniac Music.  It only comes in plain black or plain white.

ildar said:
How about zebra in both potitions?
Get a black single coil sustaniac and a cream single coil sized bucker for the neck. Could work.

The Sustainiac web site says I shouldn't do this.  Here's a quote from a list of things NOT to do:

"Neck pickup mounted next to a single-coil pickup: Magnetic interaction between driver and pickup causes three of the strings to have reduced output level. If you use a mini humbucker, this tendency is greatly reduced. The best thing is to use the Stealth Plus driver as your neck pickup. It really does sound good.."

Otherwise, that would be a really good idea.

Thanks everybody.

At first, I felt the pickups should match.  Having two solid black pups gives the guitar more of a "factory" look, imo.  But the more I look at the mismatched zebra/black configuration, the more I like the "hot-rodded custom" it gives.  And, after all, we're talking about a flat alder Les Paul with a bolt-on 25.5" maple neck and Warmoth headstock.  So maybe the mismatched pickups plays into the Frankenstein guitar look nicely.

Anyway, you guys helped confirm my opinion that the mismatch look works so thanks again.

I'm going to see if the music store will let me exchange that black pickup for a zebra one.  The wires haven't been snipped yet and the box is suck that I can repack it like new.

I would prefer a chrome cover to match the bridge.  :party07:

What underneath the cover - I don't care  :cool01:

Back