Help from Handgun Enthusiasts

ognolman

I've got a guy that wants to trade my G5 Warmoth Korina fretless 5 in pristine condition for a Smith and Wesson 629 DX 44 Magnum.  I had the bass listed for $850, which is way less than what it cost me to build it.  Anybody want to comment on this deal?  My gut says it's a bad idea.  I already have a couple of handguns and it seems very risky.

What do you guys think??

JBD

Only you can determine the benefit/value of the deal. Without pics or knowing the overall condition/operation of the gun (I'm familiar with Smith & Wessons), it would be difficult to advise you one way or the other. You may wish to check the laws of the state you live in, as well, regarding any legal issues/responsibilities. I always proceed with such matters by the ol' gut-check principle: If it feels good...it probably is. If it doesn't feel good...it probably isn't. Just my $.02
icon_neutral.gif

SlingBass said:
Only you can determine the benefit/value of the deal. Without pics or knowing the overall condition/operation of the gun (I'm familiar with Smith & Wessons), it would be difficult to advise you one way or the other. You may wish to check the laws of the state you live in, as well, regarding any legal issues/responsibilities. I always proceed with such matters by the ol' gut-check principle: If it feels good...it probably is. If it doesn't feel good...it probably isn't. Just my $.02
icon_neutral.gif

Yeah, I think you're right.  I've got a pic request in.  His claim is that it is in very good condition and that the used value ranges from about $550 to $750, so even at best, it's less than my asking price on the bass.  I think I'd be more inclined to do it if we could meet face-to-face, but that won't happen unless he comes to me.  The legal stuff alone makes me want to walk away.  I don't know how to check those things.  And then there's the possibility that it might be stolen or involved in a crime of some sort...  Scary.

JBD

Dont do it man. Sounds dodgy.

You guys would love a store in Eastborne on the sound coast of England. It is called 'Guns & Banjos'. Can you guess what that store sells?

rhythm said:
Dont do it man. Sounds dodgy.

You guys would love a store in Eastborne on the sound coast of England. It is called 'Guns & Banjos'. Can you guess what that store sells?

Plumbing supplies?  :laughing7:

JBD

Don't know where you are at but her in Cali you can go into any local gun store or Police dept and finalize the transaction. The station or the gun store will then hold the gun for you for the required 15 day period. Doing it this way I don't see any issues.

Ken

My dad traded in his Ruger Blackhawk 44 yesterday for 550.It was stainless will the 9 inch barrell.What kind of cosmetics does the gun have? Revolver correct?To me it kinda sounds like a bad deal for you.Do you really need a 44?Its an awesome cartridge for sure,but you have to ask yourself what you would use it for.

I say go for it, if it turns out to be a bad deal you can always just shoot him.

You get the gun and the bass.  Win win sittuation.

erik

taez555 said:
I say go for it, if it turns out to be a bad deal you can always just shoot him.

You get the gun and the bass.  Win win sittuation.

erik

Well, there is also the small matter of the criminal investigation, indictment, trial and prison time, but hey!  It would be a new life experience for me!

:laughing7:

Actually I told him thanks, but no thanks.  Too much hassle when I can just sell or trade for something simple.

JBD

Personally, I'm no fan of the revolver, and no fan of S&W revolvers.

But the deal is probably "ok".  To check the gun, just get the serial #, go to the cops and say you're considering a purchase and want to see if the gun has any history.  They'll know if its stolen.  Either that, or, have the guy produce a valid bill of sale to him for when he bought it.

The .44 magnum.  A cartridge that is a cure for a disease that has yet to be invented.  Of course you can always shoot .44 specials in it, and be perfectly happy.  My middle finger knuckle remembers that 2-1/4 inch model 29 I had for a while.  There's nothing there that a good Combat Commander .45 cant do better.

But it digress...

If you actually have a need to carry a handgun; that need is predicated on the ability to knock down/prevent return fire from any target hit vaguely center of mass within 25 meters or usually less.

There's a reason that there have been no significant mods to the M1911 since prior to WWI; it is the perfect choice to accomplish the task. You can find a perfectly reasonable import version of an M1911 for a LOT less than what you're talking about.

.44 magnum revolvers are for chumps that saw too many Dirty Harry movies...

jackthehack said:
If you actually have a need to carry a handgun; that need is predicated on the ability to knock down/prevent return fire from any target hit vaguely center of mass within 25 meters or usually less.

There's a reason that there have been no significant mods to the M1911 since prior to WWI; it is the perfect choice to accomplish the task. You can find a perfectly reasonable import version of an M1911 for a LOT less than what you're talking about.

.44 magnum revolvers are for chumps that saw too many Dirty Harry movies...
First off he didn't say he was going to carry it, and secondly I'd put a .44 magnum revolver up against an outdated 1911 any day. It'll make a lot bigger hole with a .44 mag than an ACP .45...

I can drop three targets or put three rounds in one target more quickly than you can recover from the .44 magnum recoil, acquire new target and operate revolver action and attempt to hit a 2nd one. Nothing to discuss there. End of conversation. What size holes are made are meaningless; all that matters is dropping/incapacitating target, and a 230 grain .45 ACP round will knock anything hit back and down. I have never seen anyone hit with that round retain the capacity to return fire. That is the only reason to carry/use a handgun.

jackthehack said:
I can drop three targets or put three rounds in one target more quickly than you can recover from the .44 magnum recoil, acquire new target and operate revolver action and attempt to hit a 2nd one. Nothing to discuss there. End of conversation. What size holes are made are meaningless; all that matters is dropping/incapacitating target, and a 230 grain .45 ACP round will knock anything hit back and down. I have never seen anyone hit with that round retain the capacity to return fire. That is the only reason to carry/use a handgun.
All I need is one hit.......Don't get me wrong the .45 is a great caliber, and I'm not a revolver person, I carry a Kahr PM .45. But the .44 magnum is still more powerful.

»$¡r ¤ §¢hmøøþ¥« said:
measure your picks while your at it   :redflag:
You're just jelious cause they won't let you have guns in the insane assylum... :icon_biggrin:

Back