help choosing a low/medium watt tube amp-- fender, mesa boogie, etc

nathan a

Alright, yet another topic on small tube amps. Sorry guys

I'm trying to decide on a low wattage combo amp I can crank up. I don;t really want to go above 30 watts, and I don't really want to have to sell my limbs for medical experiments in order to pay for this thing. I want a more classic-ish sound; usually, to get different sounds, I just use pedals or different guitars. I don't need high gain, but a mild overdrive channel might be nice. A little amp breakup plus my DS-1 is really all the distortion I need though.

Oh, BTW i've never owned a tube amp before.

Originally considering a fender '65 deluxe reverb reissue. Simple, great price.

But from what I've read, the mesa boogie lone star special sounds fantastic. And painfully expensive, but if I played it and loved it, I could come up with the $$.

I'm also browsing the hughes and kettner site, and was first drawn to the puretone, but honestly, I don't have a clue. I hopes maybe you guys would have some insight.

It's 35 watts, but how about one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kendrick-Black-Gold-35-Guitar-Amplifier-2x12_W0QQitemZ200129466745QQihZ010QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

peavey classic 30 combo would be a good choice. these have a good clean channel and a great not so high gain channel (think billy gibbons zztop on the song just got paid) it wont nail that tone but its close enough for rock and roll. also these take effects/overdrive pedals pretty well.also you can pick one up under $350.00 try one if you get a chance it might just fill the bill.

Wow, considering the original price, that kendrick on ebay is a fantastic find. I'd like to play whatever I'm considering before I buy, though, and I'm not sure where I might find one of those monsters in-store.

That peavey is pretty tempting, sounds like it's got everything I want. Should be easy to find in-store to investigate. I know this is terrible but I'm almost skeptical-- only $350??

the $350.00 price was for a used one like on ebay but heres a link to look at new ones at musicians friend its hard to suggest a combo amp because everyones tastes are different. there are way better amps than this one but like every thing else you can pay alot more for one that isnt that much better. but these are pretty good read the reviews a harmonycentral  i know this isnt the best advice but it will give you a ballpark est on what stuff does
id really suggest you play through all of the ones your thinking aboutbecause you may find exactly what your looking for. happy hunting

View Cart | My Account | Help | Wishlist | Gift Certificates | Catalog Quick Order 
1-800-391-8762 · OPEN 24/7
On Most Orders Over $99
  Guitar  Bass  Keyboards  Drums & Percussion  Live Sound  Recording  DJ & Lighting  Band & Orchestra  Accessories  Books & Video  Offstage  Clearance

Quick Find: Electric| Acoustic| Classical| Amps| Effects| Picks| Pickups & Parts| Straps| Strings| Tuners 
Home » Instrument Amplifiers & Effects » Guitar & Bass Amplifiers » Guitar Amplifiers » Combo Amps » Tube Combo Amps Peavey Classic 30/112 Tube Combo Amp#481014 

The Classic 30/112 has been redesigned with an all-new chassis design, but still features the distinctive sound and circuitry of the renowned Classic Series amps.

Peavey Classic 30/112 Tube Combo Amp Features:

30 watts (RMS) into 16 or 8 ohms
Four EL84s and three 12AX7s
12" Blue Marvel speaker
2-channel preamp
Pre- and post-gain controls on lead channel
Normal volume control on clean channel
3-band passive EQ (bass, middle, treble)
Boost switch
Reverb level control
Effects loop
Footswitch selectable channel switching and reverb
External speaker capability
Chrome-plated chassis
Save BIG when you buy today!

Customers who bought the Peavey Classic 30/112 Tube Combo Amp Tweed also bought
Shure SM57 Instrument/Vocal Mic - $99.00
Hal Leonard Fender Amps The First Fifty Years Book - $34.95
Monster Cable Rock 1/4" Straight Instrument Cable - $24.95
$599.99 -or- $18/mo. - Apply! 

List Price: $729.99 Savings: $130.00(17%)
Please select an option... Black...$599.99 Tweed...$599.99   

Research Center
Manufacturer Warranty
View Warranty

Resources
Musician's Friend Buying Guides
Why Buy?
This Item Ships Free!
Our Return Policy
45/45 Satisfaction Guarantee
Help & Support
Call 800-391-8762

Chat with an expert
Email questions & comments

Customer Reviews

Want to tell other customers about your experience with Peavey Classic 30/112 Tube Combo Amp? Please read our product review guidelines then write a review for others to read!
write a review »

Average of 29 User Ratings
Overall  Quality 
Features  Value 

Can't be beat for the price  Overall 
Experience w/product I own it  Features 
Reviewer's Background Musician  Quality 
Reviewer's Play Style Rock/anything  Value 
This amp sounds incredible clean, and the distortion is excellent for hard rock. For metal I can wing it by turning the treble up and wailing on it, but I just plug in a digitech RP350 and this amp can do anything, it loves pedals.
I gave a 4 for features do to the lack of a presence knob, but its no big deal. Also the boost sounds terrible, but I don't need that with the RP350 plugged in. I was looking at Fender Hotrods and Crate Palominos when shopping around. The Fender distortion was horrible, and the crate didn't have the rep for quality and reliability that Peavey does.

I love the sound of this amp, only reason I'd trade it would be for a classic 50 if I needed more volume, thats not to say this one isn't plenty loud.

If you're looking for a tube amp, do yourself a favor and try this one!

Posted by moestock from East PA on Jul 5, 2007

Great amp for the money  Overall 
Reviewer's Background Hobbyist  Quality 
Reviewer's Play Style Garage rock, blues, classic rock  Value 
I bought a Classic 30 years ago and it's holding up well. When the clean channel is turned up, it makes a beautiful overdriven/distorted sound. Even though it's only a 30 watt amplifier, it is LOUD. The only thing I don't like about it is the reverb. It's good, but if you're looking for that classic Fender reverb, you won't find it here. Posted by Hopper1 from Janesville, WI on Jul 5, 2007

The Perfect Practice Amp  Overall 
Reviewer's Background active musician  Quality 
Reviewer's Play Style classic rock, alternative rock, blues  Value 
I use it in my college dorm for practicing and it does the job. It sounds a lot like a Fender amp and it's cheaper. You can get a wide-range of tones between the EQ, preamp, and bass boost feature. I highly recommend it if you're into the blues and need a small amp. Posted by Eraz from Madison, NJ on May 20, 2007

The perfect compromise  Overall 
Reviewer's Background hobbyist  Quality 
Reviewer's Play Style Rock, Blues  Value 
I wanted an amp that provided me with a decent clean and a very good classic rock distorted tone. This amp is it. I also needed it to sound decent at low volumes for practicing while the kids are napping. You can get great tones at moderate volumes with this amp. I considered the Fender Blues Jr, but the distortion was just too flat for me - definitely not a good classic rocker. Marshall's stuff is great but WAY overpriced. This is it.. Heck, I even got a halfway decent VH sound out of this amp with an echo and phase 90 along with my Peavey Wolfgang guitar! Solid choice - you can't go wrong. Posted by BMan from Ohio on May 19, 2007

Wide range of sounds in one affordable amp!  Overall 
Reviewer's Background Hobbyist  Quality 
Reviewer's Play Style Punk, blues, metal  Value 
I am a hobbyist and buy lots of equipment. This amp I bought thinking it would be great for a bluesy sound and wouldn't do much else. I was quite happy to be dead wrong! It does great blues and some nice sharp clean tones and does both really well. What I found amazing is the chunky distortion with a nice big bottom end. Not for metal but still quite respectable. Peavey may never have a name like Marshall or Fender but they make some great gear and most of it here in the US. If you are looking for a great value in a tube amp it would be difficult to find anything better. Posted by B. K. Hinton from Dallas on Mar 30, 2007

View more product reviews »

If you would like to write a review, please see our product review guidelines.

About
History
Employment Opportunities
¡Bienvenidos!
International Customers
Site Map
  Services
Free Catalog
E-mail Newsletters
Affiliate Program
Sweepstakes & Gear Giveaway
Gift Certificates
Platinum Membership
  Help & Contact
Help Center
Contact Us
Track Your Order
E-mail Unsubscribe
  Trust
Testimonials
Your Privacy Rights
Terms and Conditions
Terms of Use
Return Policy
Low Price Guarantee

Entire contents Copyright © 2007 Musician's Friend Inc.
Musician's Friend is a registered trademark of Musician's Friend Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Publisher does not accept liability for incorrect spelling, printing errors (including prices), incorrect manufacturer's specifications or changes, or grammatical inaccuracies in any product included in the Musician's Friend catalog or website. Prices subject to change without notice.

Top Of Page 

22w or 35w is not a small tube amp.  You'll play the same gigs with those as 100w amps, just crank em up more, and have 'em mo' juicyier.

I happen to think, someplace in that 5w range is a great "small amp", and it still keeps up with the drums.

-CB- said:
22w or 35w is not a small tube amp.  You'll play the same gigs with those as 100w amps, just crank em up more, and have 'em mo' juicyier.

I happen to think, someplace in that 5w range is a great "small amp", and it still keeps up with the drums.

True. Most of the 5 watters that I've seen don't have a whole lot going on though-- not much in terms of eq shaping, channels, etc (Some do, I'm sure, but I haven't really stumbled onto them). I realize you don't NEED that stuff, but hell, I certainly wouldn't mind it.

I probably should have mentioned that this will be THE amp, my main amp; I don't want to always be thinking of this as a "small amp", you know?

The amp now is a 100 watt marshall solid state combo, which is more power than I'll ever need, in my entire life. And it doesn't sound BAD, but let's say it's become 'uninspiring'.

Dont worry toys, I promise I won't buy anything without playing through it  :icon_biggrin:

I'll add my vote in for the Peavey Classic 30. I got rid of mine for a big overpowered head a few years ago and I've been kickin' myself since then.

-CB- said:

Exactly! Always makes me chuckle when I see these kids with 100W Head and Cabs at tiny rock venues. That is until they start to play and then I don't want to laugh, I want to leave cos the sound is crap!

In my opinion most gigging musicians will rarely ever need more than a 60W valve Combo unless there playing big venues.

Getting back to Nathans question, try out the Peavey Valveking if you wanna save some dollars and get a cracking amp. It does have a lot of gain however (too much for me) but I mainly use the clean channel anyway which warms up nicely.

Only played a classic 30 once and was REALLY loud for its size/power, couldn't really turn it up as much as I'd of liked.in the shop. But I very clearly remember a blues guy I saw a few weeks back getting a mean tone from one tho. 

I've owned several Peavys and the 30 is a great amp.  I'd recommend upgrading the tubes.  The only drawback to one is that they can get a really piercing high end with single coils if you're not careful.  I would also check out the new Epi blues amp, which is a 30 watter.  As a reference with my band I've found that the Peavy 30 is loud enough to play most venues without being miked up.  If you want to really drop a lot of cash a Matchless Spitfire is a good way to go.  I'm currently using a Fyrebottle amp loosely based on the Spitfire only with 6's and not 34's in the power stage and get unbelievable tone with any humbuckers.

Hope this helps.

Teledymaker

***********(Exactly! Always makes me chuckle when I see these kids with 100W Head and Cabs at tiny rock venues. That is until they start to play and then I don't want to laugh, I want to leave cos the sound is crap!

60w and 100w are damn near the same vol
50 and 100 only slightly diff volume
in fact 20 and 100 not much difference given the same speakers used.....

double the wattage, you get a 3db difference, assuming the same speakers and cabinet
you need ten times the wattage, to get double the volume

So really, the guy playing a 20w amp, is only at a slight disadvantage to the 100 watt amp

For instance - I was playing my old 60's Deluxe Reverb, 22watts they say, and the other guy had a JCM900 with 2x12 combo cabinet

The Deluxe was on about 8, and just sounding great, no volume issues at all... in fact hadda turn it down.

-CB- said:

I agree CB!

amp_inside3.jpg

CB made me this CHAMP CLONE (slightly moddified to his specs) IN A DELUXE CAB
and it will keep up with a drummer and a bassist with NO problem. Even a small gig!

amp_inside7.jpg

How about a 5 watt Gibson tube amp?

MF has reduced then from $700 to $300 shipped!!

Check out this thread, at least 11 guitarists have taken advantage of this deal...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=356899

I've been gigging for the last two years with a single-ended 6L6/1 x15" amp I built. I have no problem hearing myself over the drummer. A small amp through a large (bigger than 8"), efficient speaker will be all you need to take into most battles.

I had a Peavey Classic 30 years ago. I got a lot out of that amp. At $350, that amp is a bargain. I traded it towards a Mesa Maverick, which I wound up not liking at all (great in the showroom, meh at the gig), especially considering the >$1,000 price.

blackheaet makes a little giant 5W combo with a 12 inch speaker it has volume, treble, middle, bass, and a triode/pentode switch. it is still simple but not as simple as your run-of-the-mill epiphone valve juniors,or fender champs. you should check it out, it is quite affordableand apparently sounds great--see thread on blackheart little giant

The 2 Blackheart 5watt heads and marshall 2x12 cab are standing toe to toe with my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50watt combo.
(What I mean is it's just as loud, enough for you to feel it.)

Now they don't sound the same,
(Switchblade has more control over it's sound and better tubes) 
(Blackheart is easy to use bass/mid/treb/vol and has a nice warm tube sound for a nice low price)

You might also want to check out the Orange Tiny Terror Head(5-15 watts)... Now I know it's not a combo and doesn't have a whole lot of tone shaping options, But it WILL get you where you want to go. I know, I have one and I love it. other than that. Another combo That I really loved was the Fender Super Sonic, It's 60 watts but really kick ass in the tone shaping dept. Good luck in your search my friend.

Back