help choosing a bass

rahimiiii

I am thinking of building a bass but with limited budget in mind. I am tired of making strats mind you... I could use a bass however I was interested in the gecko bass because it looks real unique, however I wonder about having a 5 string bass since I am not really a bass player so should I go with the G4 instead? I really like the gecko inlay though...

It's been my experience that most skinny-stringers express an easier transition to a 4-string. I wouldn't let that detour you from getting out, going to your local music stores, and trying a few different makes and models (4,5,6 strings) in order to make an informed and intelligent decision. We're all different, and have requirements based on a host of varied factors. Nobody can really make the right call but you, yourself - build / acquire accordingly...

Personally, after trying my hand at bass for about a week, I felt like I wanted to go lower than the standard low E. Trying a couple out is probably good advice.

hmm... good point there. I guess I could go with the gecko 5's. I was thinking of going with black korina body or something and prep it with tru oil first, then grain fill (not sure what to use here, I don't like stewmac filler too much by the way maybe a dark filler??) then clear coat with lacquer. It would be a cheaper option to go with swamp ash but then I never seen a black korina guitar so it'd be totally different.

rahimiiii said:
hmm... good point there. I guess I could go with the gecko 5's. I was thinking of going with black korina body or something and prep it with tru oil first, then grain fill (not sure what to use here, I don't like stewmac filler too much by the way maybe a dark filler??) then clear coat with lacquer. It would be a cheaper option to go with swamp ash but then I never seen a black korina guitar so it'd be totally different.

I'd go with a five and just get it over with.  You will end up learning better technique right away.  If you build a fiver you'll be more inclined to play it just by virtue of the fact that you've got so much invested in it, so I don't think the extra string will throw you off for too long.

JBD

no no no no no and NO!
Don't get a five string, my first electric was a five string and a good one at that, and I HATE it!

come to think of it, tuning to drop D on a four would leave you with just about 3 semitones or so short.

Sir SchmoopY said:
no no no no no and NO!
Don't get a five string, my first electric was a five string and a good one at that, and I HATE it!

But that doesn't mean that everyone will hate it. 

JBD

LarsXI said:
come to think of it, tuning to drop D on a four would leave you with just about 3 semitones or so short.

Well... I do prefer being able to use standard components (so I can go on ebay and find cheap ones) rather than buying expensive kahler bridges or whatever. I was thinking to use the KISS principle and build something simple but effective, like a dinky J or P or a G4... and use standard bridge/pickup routing. I think I am inclined to go with one pickup only however with a preamp inside...

rahimiiii said:
LarsXI said:

Well... I do prefer being able to use standard components (so I can go on ebay and find cheap ones) rather than buying expensive kahler bridges or whatever. I was thinking to use the KISS principle and build something simple but effective, like a dinky J or P or a G4... and use standard bridge/pickup routing. I think I am inclined to go with one pickup only however with a preamp inside...

Yep-- that's a solid, practical reason for going with a four banger.  It is the reason I've built more 4s than 5s.

JBD

ognolman said:
Sir SchmoopY said:
no no no no no and NO!

But that doesn't mean that everyone will hate it. 

JBD

just a warning. try try try before you buy.

If the day ever arrives when Vic needs a fifth string, I'll change my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWb-aCWR8U

I stood right in front of Victor at the Flimore for a Flecktones show and could not see how he was doing what he was doing!

Id like to try a five string one day..there are some songs that would be easyer to play with five.

Brian

This will probably earn me eternal damnation, but I don't think that low B strings sound very good. A majority of the best bass players still play four-strings for that very reason, and when you do see a great player using a five or six-string, they just use the low B string as a thumbrest anyway. Go over to the talkbass forum and search "B string" or "five strings". At least a third of the posters are complaining about the tone of their B string, and asking what amp, strings, pickups, preamps etc. can fix it. Well, too bad - even a 35" scale doesn't address the fundamental mud problem caused by a too-thick string. It's the same problem seven-string guitarists run into, when you go over a .066" (or so) low string. You really can't have it all... If a five or six-stringer would please post a Youtube clip of someone specifically playing great-sound notes on a 0.135" string, I'd be proven wrong, huh? :laughing3:

http://www.talkbass.com/

(My new fave bass player is fretless six-banger Robertino Pagliari of OHM, but it seems he just uses the B as a thumbrest, as far as I can hear.)

http://www.myspace.com/robertinopagliari

GREAT choice for the vid!

I completely agree with the anti-5 comments.

If you must a a 5, supposedly Dingwall's fanned fret system helps the B tension. But I am no expert.

Yeah fanned frets help some. But I would say 4 string. Most (good) bass players I know who have a 5 string only actually play the low B about 1% of the time, more as a gimmick or special effect.

I saw the flecktones a few years back and that guy blew my mind!!

onedrop said:
Yeah fanned frets help some. But I would say 4 string. Most (good) bass players I know who have a 5 string only actually play the low B about 1% of the time, more as a gimmick or special effect.

I saw the flecktones a few years back and that guy blew my mind!!

Yea, most of the bands I listen to all use 4 string basses anyways... I haven't seen too many bands that uses 5 or 6's... (I listen to Iron Maiden and most of the classic metal and/or death metal styles and just about all of them have standard instruments)

stubhead said:
This will probably earn me eternal damnation, but I don't think that low B strings sound very good. A majority of the best bass players still play four-strings for that very reason, and when you do see a great player using a five or six-string, they just use the low B string as a thumbrest anyway. Go over to the talkbass forum and search "B string" or "five strings". At least a third of the posters are complaining about the tone of their B string, and asking what amp, strings, pickups, preamps etc. can fix it. Well, too bad - even a 35" scale doesn't address the fundamental mud problem caused by a too-thick string. It's the same problem seven-string guitarists run into, when you go over a .066" (or so) low string. You really can't have it all... If a five or six-stringer would please post a Youtube clip of someone specifically playing great-sound notes on a 0.135" string, I'd be proven wrong, huh? :laughing3:

http://www.talkbass.com/

(My new fave bass player is fretless six-banger Robertino Pagliari of OHM, but it seems he just uses the B as a thumbrest, as far as I can hear.)

http://www.myspace.com/robertinopagliari

A couple of points: Just because the notes aren't super-low doesn't mean they aren't being played on the low B string.  I play a *lot* of low E notes on the high frets of the B string...  Which was what I was talking about with the comment about the improving technique in my previous post.  So there's a good chance people are playing the low B a lot more than what your ears are telling you.

I think the majority of complaints from people over five strings comes from the scale length.  I don't play 35" scale basses anymore, because they are harder to play.  All of my 5s are 34".  I don't notice a difference sonically, but I'm sure there's lots of people that will say they do.  But I'm still getting gigs and compliments on my sound, and that's all the proof I need.

It took a little while for me to make the switch, but now it is second nature.  It probably took longer because I went through 35" scale basses before I realized that was a problem.  Now, I wouldn't go to a gig or audition without a five now.  My collection is fine with no four string basses, but I have to have at least one good fretted five all the time.  I guess if you have the reputation Vic has you can play a one-string bass and everyone will still love you for it.  But most of us don't have that luxury.

JBD

I pulled the trigger... went with a 4 string dinky J with swamp ash body. Was gonna go with Black Korina but decided that I needed room for creativity (untried sunburst and stuff) so I figured swamp ash will do, plus its cheaper.

Back