Help a Neurotic Dude with a Bass Build!

If you're going to put a solid color on top, then it doesn't matter what you use for a laminate. It's going to be hidden.

Chrome goes with anything because it's not a color, it's a reflector. Black goes with anything because it's not a color, it's the absence of color. So, the question then becomes one of contrast. Chrome, being a reflector, doesn't contrast anything. It always matches. Black, on the other hand, stands out against light colors and complements the darker shades. What you prefer is a judgement call, but I like a bit of contrast, myself.

Final consideration might be wear. Black sometimes shows wear more than chrome, simply because the black is a finish and is only on the surface, at least with metal parts. But, some of us are harder on guitars than others. If you're one to treat the instrument with care, the black can look great for a helluva long time.

Gotcha. I'm wanting to go all black but the big chrome humbucker in the bridge position just seems like it won't jibe.

As Cagey says, not much point getting a lam top with a solid colour, unless...

You want a chambered body
You want binding - real or 'natural masked accent'*
Both of the above

Have you tried using the visual builder? I know it's not available for basses, but trying it out with a Strat or something will give you a an idea of how the combinations work out.

*Binding is available on the non-contoured '51 P without a lam top

I second using the visual builder. If you can find a guitar in your color that has the visual builder, you can experiment with every combination of pickguard/ hardware/body color/ or fretboard wood available. I used it to build my bass (almost there) and I love the way it looks!
If you're going for a solid color, the laminate top is just an extra cost without any benefit.

Michael

I think that I found what I wanted! Well, visually at least.

I was looking around and I stumbled upon the Candy Tangerine color. It looked fun and I thought about pairing it with a black pickguard. I was in love. I began to plan how the bass would look using chrome hardware and all of that stuff. I even messaged Fat Tony about his gorgeous decals for what will now be known as the Burrito Bass. I was excited.

Then I noticed in Tony's signature the Infiltrator Bass. It's gorgeous. It's beautiful. It's...a candy tangerine body with a black pickguard. "Why god why" I cried to the heavens. Back to square one, I say!

In happier news, I'm ordering a Curtis Novak-made Fender Wide Range Bass Humbucker for this build. Super excited about that. Soon I'll need to decide on a body shape (72 P-Bass? 54 P-Bass? Standard P-Bass? Jazzmaster IV) and then an color scheme.

Back