Help a Neurotic Dude with a Bass Build!

Fat Pete said:
stratamania said:
...I stand corrected. I am not a bass player so would not know a 54 P Bass from a 1962 model...

I wasn't intending to 'call you out', strat, just assumed you weren't familiar with the '54 P.

No worries I did not think you were. I did not know about that so it is one more thing I have learned about the world of vintage basses.

Thank you!  No, you won't find an option for a true binding for a '54 bass, they only offer it in the builder for the jazz style.  I got lucky and pulled that one from the showcase, already painted white.  I think someone was showing off his chops at Warmoth, but I really don't know.

I have two basses that will not leave my hands (so far).  That white one, and the mooncaster short scale, also in my signature.  I've experimented with a lot of different parts.  Ask if you have something particular in mind.  Never targeted an aluminum neck before, no ideas on that.  Also went with the "standard" pickguards, unless rear routed.  I think if you have something like that in mind you may need to do a custom PG, or fashion one yourself.  There's a variety of places that may help you with that.  Fat Pete has a line on something.

I don't know where I got the idea you were looking into an Audere system.  Did you say that at one point?

Anyway, take a look at Audere.  They have a modular preamp system that is very good.  It's configurable for the number of pot holes you have and how you want to configure volume/balance and eq bands.  As has been mentioned, you will likely have issues if you want to go thru a rear rout and pickguard/control plate with the length of the pot shafts, if you go a preamp direction.  Passive, you can get pots with longer shafts.

https://www.audereaudio.com/classic-vb-4b-4h-chrome.html

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I played the Travis Bean last night and I like the aluminum neck and all, but I don't know if I like it enough to pay double the price of a Warmoth neck, so it's back to the drawing board on that. I also stopped by Guitar Center and played a bass with a Stingray clone pickup. I don't know, in my head I've always wanted a Stingray, but I was a different player when I was 20 as opposed to at 40. It's just too midrange-y for my tastes. Even when I tried to dial back the EQ and do stuff that I like to do, which is more akin to a punk rocker trying to be Duck Dunn or something. I just wasn't feeling it.

I'm going to have to rethink what I'm wanting out of this build. Part of me wants to go with Plan B and build something akin to a 72 Telecaster Bass.

VKXMVML.jpg

I think that might be a way to go, although I need to figure out the body and if Warmoth will route for a pickup that high on the body.

Also thanks for the Audere information. I'm going to be picking your brain about this very soon. My current plan is to start buying parts soon, with the more costly things (like neck, body and pickups) happening after the new year. If I can get this whole build done by May I'll be super happy.

Ask away, buddy.  If you decide to go the more traditional neck route, do yourself a favor and get Fender F-stamp half-open tuners.  Can be hard to come by, but worth every penny.  They are the only tuners I use anymore.

Fender-0097335049.jpg

Warmoth necks are absolutely fabulous.  If you go the maple route, make sure to get it finished in satin.  If you go an exotic wood route, leave it unfinished and check out how to burnish it.  It's a beautiful thing.  This is a raw wood neck, no finish, pau ferro in this case.  It is an absolute joy to play.  Your hands just slide over it.

BQWVbXJ.jpg

Here's what I was looking at for the neck:

Style: Tele® Bass
Construction: Super Bass
Scale: 34 in.
Neck Wood:
Shaft Wood: Maple
Fretboard Wood: Maple
Stiffening Rods: Standard Steel Rods
Right/Left: Right Handed Reverse
Nut Width: 1-1/2" (38mm) J Bass®
Neck Profile: Standard
Radius: Straight 10"
# of Frets: 21
Fret Size: 6230
Tuner Ream: BML
Inlays:
Inlays: Black Blocks
Side Dots: Black Side Dots
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: No Nut Install
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Binding: Black
Finish: Vint Tint Satin Nitro

I tend to like Jazz Bass necks more than P-Bass necks (aside from my MIM PBass, which has a great neck because it's been steadily played since 1992). I've always wanted block inlays. Part of me wants to get a rosewood fingerboard so that I can get the white pearloid blocks. I need to figure out the nut install and if a reverse headstock requires different tuners also.

BuyMeABurrito said:
I played the Travis Bean last night and I like the aluminum neck and all, but I don't know if I like it enough to pay double the price of a Warmoth neck, so it's back to the drawing board on that.

I've known a couple guys who've had aluminum necks years ago, but eventually dumped out of them. They seem like a good idea at the time, but apparently it's more of a novelty than anything with any practical advantage, kinda like Lexan bodies. I think perhaps they were a solution looking for a problem. Maybe the manufacturing ends up faster/easier/more consistent/less costly somehow, so a few of the intrepid OEMs who could afford to take flyers on innovative concepts tried to get people to like them, but I don't know. All I do know is they've never gotten popular, so they must not bring much to the party. One of the guys who had one played out quite frequently, and didn't like how the neck stayed cold once it got cold. The other guy complained about tuning issues, but that's a common enough problem that it may not have been the neck's fault.

I just found that in terms of the stuff that I play with friends it did one thing REALLY REALLY well. If you're looking for that Chicago/Shellac/Melvins kind of brutal sound the aluminum stuff sounds great. Those dudes all seem to play Beans and EGC basses through Traynor amps. Don't get me wrong, I like hearing that stuff, but it isn't all that I play or want to play. I want something as versatile and timeless looking as my P and J basses. That's why I'm leaning towards doing something similar to an original PBass with the single coil pickup or a 72 Telecaster Bass with a humbucker in the bridge position.

I just don't know what sort of nut to get, if I use one that Warmoth recommends in the builder. I've been playing bass since I was 13 and have literally never thought about the nut. Is there a material I should avoid?

And since they come in black or white, they'll fit in with just about any idea you can come up with.

Awesome. I'm really appreciative of the help everyone is giving me. As someone who has owned multiple Fenders and one Ibanez over the course of the last 26 (holy crap!) years, just the speculating of all of this has shown how silly and uninformed I am. It's been nice so far just learning about basses and all of the parts that I've never even thought about.

There's been a snowstorm here and all weekend I've been drooling over the prospect of building my version of a 72 Fender Telecaster Bass. I'm thinking that' the route that I'm going to go on with this build. I need to find a newer version of the Fender Wide Ranging Humbucker and what body will look good on it as well as learning how to get a custom pick guard built.

Starting this week with buying parts (something small like strap locks or like that) and then buying other components every two weeks or so until the body and neck happen. Then things will move quickly. Thanks everyone for helping me learn about this stuff. I'm sure that I'm going to keep bumping this threat with numerous questions about the build and even aesthetic stuff. You folks are awesome.

I'm back with more questions.

So I'm pretty settled upon what I want outside of a few cosmetic things and wood questions. I'm wanting to build a nice bass with a humbucker in the neck position. The pickup I've settled upon based on a lot of research is Curtis Novak's Darkstar/BiSonic pickup. It's got great reviews and the demos that I've listened to sound great. I'm super excited about it. But there's a problem. Well, two problems that are similar.

The pickup's size is bigger than the routing size that Warmoth does. The closest thing to it that I can find is the EMG 35 and that's 1.50" X 3.50". The Darkstar's routing size is 3.125 x 2.125, so I might need to get someone to route this body specifically for this pickup. I'm fine with doing that, but I'm curious if Warmoth will just do it for me if I buy the routing template from Curtis? Has anyone had to do anything like this before? My other problem is finding a pickguard. Looks like I'm going to have to get that cut custom as well. Will Warmoth handle that?

A Dark Star routing option is listed at the top of the page here, but there is no actual info about it. Probably best to give them a call.

The pickguard is less likely, but worth asking. As the chrome top of the pickup covers the hole, rather than fitting into it, you could DIY without worrying about getting the cut out perfectly neat.

You'd just need simple rectangular hole routing in the body, so anyone calling themselves a luthier or tech should be able to handle that for a modest fee. Alternatively, not that it's for me to volunteer his services, you could do a lot worse than have Warmoth ship the parts direct to our very own Cagey to do the work. Get him to take care of the fretwork - and burnish the neck too, if you going 'raw' - while he's at it. I promise you wouldn't regret it.

I'd be happy to help. The routerbeast can be a wicked animal, but it's all in their upbringing. Mine loves guitars, and wouldn't think of hurting one.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to put in a call to Warmoth on my lunch break today to gather someinformation about what (if anything) can be done in-house by them. I didn't see that option on the screen. Maybe they can dig out the plans or something for me.

As far as the neck stuff you mentioned I haven't even thought about it. I plan on ordering a neck with a nice finish, but will I need to do some additional work on the neck besides installing the tuners, attaching it to the neck and then doing a set up when the strings are installed? I'm VERY new at this and have only bought basses off of the rack in the past.

Cagey said:
I'd be happy to help. The routerbeast can be a wicked animal, but it's all in their upbringing. Mine loves guitars, and wouldn't think of hurting one.

I'm calling Warmoth in a few hours. I'll PM you if your services are needed, many thanks!

Back