Hello there! Lots of Q's about my first project

So I'm terrible at photo shop, but here's what I came up with, to help me visualize...what do y'all think? I think if the body is that dark I'm gonna paint the headstock black....

thispc7.png

Juliancs, Maybe you still don't understand the difference between carved and flat tops construction? The flat top laminates are 1/8" thick and are glued onto the top. The carved top laminates start out at least 3/4" thick, I believe, and are then machined into the correct 3-d shape. So no, I'm sure the tops shown on the start page wouldn't work for a VIP.

tfarny said:
Juliancs, Maybe you still don't understand the difference between carved and flat tops construction? The flat top laminates are 1/8" thick and are glued onto the top. The carved top laminates start out at least 3/4" thick, I believe, and are then machined into the correct 3-d shape. So no, I'm sure the tops shown on the start page wouldn't work for a VIP.

Ah. Damn. :(

my two cents:

why not just get the JP? It seems like that's what you want anyway.

carry on...

GoDrex said:
my two cents:

why not just get the JP? It seems like that's what you want anyway.

carry on...
Nah, it is and it isn't. I like the shape, but I'm paying a ton for the brand. As much as I look up to JP, I don't want his name all over my guitar.

I can absolutely recommend a mahogany (or korina) back + maple top for the body and a wenge+ebony neck/board for metal, rock, blues, jazz, funk, combined with a pair of rio grande bbq/texas, and I'm no the only one I believe! that will give you a nice, warm sound, but not mushy. I have that combination in 1 guitar, and I use that guitar for rock, like led zep, aerosmith, thin lizzy. for blues like black crowes, SRV, BB king, muddy waters, zz top, for funky stuff like some dutch bands I know, and for metal like iced earth, metallica, iron maiden, etc etc. the fact that maple is rated 'bright' doesnt mean your sound will be bright and/or shrill. yes, it wont be a mush, but it wont be harsh or shrill, (if you have a full maple guitar, and I should know, I've had a full maple strat) it will give you in fact a sound that is very tight, punchy, agressive, with very tight bass, screaming mids and singing highs. combined with a mahogany or korina back, it will give you a sweeter sound when played clean or with a bit of crunch, but it will also keep your sound very, very tight when played with distortion.

just a list of some guys who use a mahogany/maple guitar:

john sykes (les paul): tight, punchy, agressive, tight bass, agressive mids and screamin highs
zakk wylde (les paul): like sykes, but even 'tighter'.
santana (prs doublecut): smooth, warm, bluesy
les paul himself (les paul): funky, bright, twangy
mark tremonti (Prs singlecut): fat, agressive, tight, lots of punch and depth
Jon Schaffer (les paul): tight!!!!!!! agressive, tight bass, screaming and punchy mids.

Thanks for that orpheo. Mahog/maple body was the plan all along :)
Here is my order.

BODY
Style VIP
Material Mahogany (One Piece)  + Flamed Maple top LT146
Control PRS Style
Bridge drilling Gotoh 510
Binding None

NECK
Style Warmoth “pro” construction
Head Warmoth
Frets 22
Inlays Mother of Pearl dots
Orientation   Right handed
Frets SS6105
Back contour Standard thin
Tuner Holes Gotoh
Neck wood Padouk
Fretboard wood Kingswood
Neck finish None
Peghead Black
Binding None

Paint Green dye, EXTRA burn over (as much as you wil!)

HARDWARE
Bridge G510C
        Installation of studs + angling
Tuner Machines SG38LC
        SG38RC
Capacitor CAP1
Copper Shielding Z35
Humbucker mounts HBRM1C (ARE THERE METAL ONES THAT ARE CURVED?) x 2
Jack   MJ1
Jack Plate FBJ1C
Knobs RTK1C x 2
Pots      CTS500 x 2
Switch MS2

TOTAL

I'm unsure about using Padouk. I think it might be to "red". I'm painting the headstock black though so....is there another dark wood that sounds similar to maple for the neck? Pau ferro?

pau ferro wont be used for a neck with an angled headstock, and its VERY very expensive.

since you're using a black back and a green top, I'd say: stick with padouk, or wenge, or rosewood.

trust me, you really, really, really want wenge in stead of padouk. for tone, and looks, and feel.

Back