Hello from Germany!

crash

Been here 2 weeks now.

I am living in a little village called Westendorf.  It's about 50km west of Munich.  Our office is in the City of Kaufbeuren, which is about 10km south of where I am living.  Kaufbeuren just had their Tanzelfest, which is like the local Oktoberfest.  A lot of drinking!  I got introduced to an Italian liquor called Ramazzotti.

So far I have visited a couple of cities: Munich, Augsburg, Marktoberdorf, Fussen.  I saw the Neuschwanstein castle today.  Didn't see the other one as it started pouring rain and we would have to wait in line for tickets, then wait in line to get in the castle.

Got a lot of great pictures.  Here are a couple:

1. Me on the bridge behind the Neuschwanstein castle
2. Picture taken in Munich from the top of St Peters church
3.  View from the path behind Neuschwanstein castle.  You can see Hohenschwangau castle in the middle of the picture

Attachments

• Neuschwanstein 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 412
  • Munich1.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 378
  • Hohenschwangau.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 362
More pictures

1 & 2. Yes, it is a Porche wrapped in snakeskin.  Saw that in Munich.
3. Picture of the living room of the house I am staying in.  I gotta say, my company is treating me well here.

Attachments

• Porche1.JPG
    408.8 KB · Views: 398
  • Porche2.JPG
    429.3 KB · Views: 365
  • P1010339.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 429
More pics

1. The lake by Neuschwanstein castle.  It is a really weird color blue.
2. A better picture of Neuschwanstein castle without that ugly guy.
3. Picture from inside St Peters church in Munich

Attachments

• Lake.JPG
    935.8 KB · Views: 356
  • Neuschwanstein 2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 408
  • Munich3.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 359
It's a beautiful country to run around in.

I think the town I was born in may be close to the area you are staying but I can't remember if it was east or west of Munich.  Furstenfeldbruck was an US Airbase after World War 2 and they housed the local Air Force hospital that all us little Air Force munchkins were born in. I had the opportunity to go there for my 50th birthday and was amazed at how beautiful that country is.

I loved the castle.  What did you think of some of the wood work in that thing?

Good to hear that you are enjoying yourself here in Bavaria. Even though the weather is currently nothing to write home about. But summer will be back, eventuallly  :).

I think you might enjoy visiting the city of Memmingen, about 50km west of your place. The old city centre is really nice. My grandma used to live there.

If you like castles, here are some more recommendations:

Schloss Dachau (has a famous wooden ceiling) and Schloss Schleissheim, Dachau is sadly also infamous for its former concentration camp, nowadays a memorial site, also recommended to visit.
Schloss Nymphenburg (that's in Munich), is surrounded by a beautiful park. One of my favourite places in Munich.
After a visit there, go get a beer in the Hirschgarten nearby, probably one of the biggest beer gardens in Europe.
And one of the few places in Munich were you can get beer still from the traditional wooden barrel. Tastes great (Augustiner Bier). Also on of my all time favaourite beer gardens.

Another really beautiful trip would be to Chiemsee. You can visit Schloss Herrenchiemsee and Frauenchiemsee, both small islands in said lake.

The Deutsches Museum is great on a rainy day, a large technical museum in the heart of Munich.

If you like to know something else, I'll be glad to help. Just ask.

Thank you for the recommendations tornado.  I did already go to the Deutsches Museum last weekend.  Very cool.  While I was in the electronics section, I was thinking what I could do with all those tubes!

Overall, I am enjoying my time in Bayern.  The food here is amazing.  I came here weighing 150 pounds.  I am willing to bet that I will be 170 pounds when I leave in October.

NICE! Glad you made it out to Neuschwanstein. That was definitely one of the highlights of my trips there. I have several of those exact pictures from my visit there too. The view from the Marianbruke is just great.

Enjoy! It really is one of the great places in the world to visit.

Very cool, Crash. Really digging that weird blue! Maybe I'll have to get an instrument done in that color.  :eek:ccasion14:

Back