Hear ye - Hear ye - U-Pick fingerboards now live!

Greg,

I honestly hope everyone at Warmoth becomes billionaires - I love when "small" US companies make it by having top notch service and providing quality merchandise that will actually be cheaper in the long run due to its quality.  That's why most everything is CRAP now compared to how it used to be.  Engineers founded, owned, and managed most corporations from the 1960's and earlier, selling their designs and production methods.  Accountants (stockholders) took over soon thereafter, and they only care about profits in the relatively short term.  People are short-sighted and don't save anymore, and this has only contributed to our shelves being stocked with Chinese garbage rather than long lasting and well designed items.

Anyway, I guess I think the "higher tier" will degrade the "middle tier" of necks.  As long as the price of the middle tier goes down, everyone will be happy.  :)

TS

Anyway, I guess I think the "higher tier" will degrade the "middle tier" of necks.  As long as the price of the middle tier goes down, everyone will be happy.

Actually, nothing is different for Warmoth on how we choose boards for standard build to order necks. Before, we'd pull some outrageous looking boards aside and put them on Showcase necks where we could show them off. Now we'll also put some where you can see them first. You can trust me when I say that there's enough stock to not affect build-to-order necks. I could see how what you are saying could affect other companies though. We're just not in that same boat.

I want all the music gear companies and my doctor to be wealthy. I want new gear to play with all the time and I don't want my doctor thinking about his bills, sleepy tired and overworked as he's got me on the operating table.   :laughing7:

So if I understand it correctly, the only difference is that you actually can pick your fingerboard, which will be 100% the same as you receive it. But if you don't pay extra, you could get the same excessive grain (and you can specify "I would love a plain black Macassar Ebony" or "Kingwood with many figures") with a bit of luck. But you don't know what you get though.

So this not mean that if you don't pay extra, you'll get more "boring" fingerboards. Right?

The fretboards that are up for custom order are high-end with extra figure/grain/color and you'd be paying more for them if they were added to a neck and put up on the Showcase anyway; you get the option of specifying it on a custom order. You'd pay the upcharge for the higher grade wood anyway. It just takes the "sight-unseen" quotient out of the equation.

I've never had an issue with any of the custom ordered necks/fretboards I ordered sight-unseen in terms of either appearance or quality.

Congratulations to Warmoth!!! This is something that the customers asked for and now could be done, with much work, I believe!  :)
It's very nice!!!

jackthehack said:
The fretboards that are up for custom order are high-end with extra figure/grain/color and you'd be paying more for them if they were added to a neck and put up on the Showcase anyway; you get the option of specifying it on a custom order. You'd pay the upcharge for the higher grade wood anyway. It just takes the "sight-unseen" quotient out of the equation.

I've never had an issue with any of the custom ordered necks/fretboards I ordered sight-unseen in terms of either appearance or quality.

Bingo!  Having had basses custom built for me in the past, I can certainly respect the nervousness of buying something sight unseen.  Being able to pick the specific top or fingerboard put me much at ease.

Engineers founded, owned, and managed most corporations from the 1960's and earlier, selling their designs and production methods.  Accountants (stockholders) took over soon thereafter, and they only care about profits in the relatively short term.

I recently saw a "Charlie Rose" interview with a tech writer, and he said the reason Yahoo is getting torched so bad by Google is that they turned it over to the bean counters just a few years too early - the engineers cashed out & left to start up something else, and now, by acting "in the interest of the stockholders", they're circling the drain. :toothy12: Unfettered greed has consequences beyond mere moral ones.... :icon_tongue:

stubhead said:
Engineers founded, owned, and managed most corporations from the 1960's and earlier, selling their designs and production methods.  Accountants (stockholders) took over soon thereafter, and they only care about profits in the relatively short term.

I recently saw a "Charlie Rose" interview with a tech writer, and he said the reason Yahoo is getting torched so bad by Google is that they turned it over to the bean counters just a few years too early - the engineers cashed out & left to start up something else, and now, by acting "in the interest of the stockholders", they're circling the drain. :toothy12: Unfettered greed has consequences beyond mere moral ones.... :icon_tongue:

Gross over-simplification of all points; while a some did cash out, many more stayed and are still there, but will leave en masse if MSFT takes over Yahoo. Real simple answer to a question that could be subject for a book or two is that while Google concentrated most all efforts in a narrow range of search/advertising and came to dominate those areas, the latter of which is where all the money is, Yahoo attempted to expand the portal concept in too many directions, many of which resulted in no incremental increases in revenues. Product management/strategists deserve a lot more blame than the "bean-counters", although they often feed off one another,

So this not mean that if you don't pay extra, you'll get more "boring" fingerboards. Right?

Well, maybe, if we only had a total of 20 fingerboards in our total stock. (not the case BTW).

There are customers that pay extra for the least figure they can get too. To them, less figure is more desireable.

Whether you want less wild or more wild, you can pay to have the one that perfectly suits you. It's our goal to have all types, "boring" and "non-boring" fingerboards in the u-pick section. Everyone has their own tastes and the affect on the regular neck builds (without the u-pick option) should be just about zero.

Actually no. We need to take the Maple fingerboards out of the Vintage Modern section. Thanks for catching that.

Can't wait for this feature to spread to other areas..bodies, necks, laminate tops etc.

Top work warmoth! :eek:ccasion14:

Gregg, any update on the body tops?  I check everyday looking for them.  Can hardly wait...

Hi David,

It's a bigger deal than the fingerboards to put together, but it will be as spectacular as you are imagining. There are some incredible tops to see, that's for sure. It may still be as much as a month out though.

Back