Headphone amp sim wanted: Stymon Iridium, Boss IR-200, etc?

ragamuffin

While I love my tube amps, I've decided that I could really use a good amp sim with a headphone out for quite playing/practicing. Does anybody have experience with the Strymon Iridium, Boss IR-200, or have other recommendations?

I'd be using it along with my pedalboard (I generally use my amp as a clean platform) and the main job is to make good noises in my headphones. I don't need a million options or effects. Bonus points for use as a recording tool.

I previously owned a Yamaha THR and wasn't happy with it. The clean sound was okay-ish (not inspiring) but also pretty weak/low volume through headphones.

I don't really want to spend more than $400, but I could potentially be convinced if there's a considerably option for a little more money.

ragamuffin said:
While I love my tube amps, I've decided that I could really use a good amp sim with a headphone out for quite playing/practicing. Does anybody have experience with the Strymon Iridium, Boss IR-200, or have other recommendations?

I'd be using it along with my pedalboard (I generally use my amp as a clean platform) and the main job is to make good noises in my headphones. I don't need a million options or effects. Bonus points for use as a recording tool.

I previously owned a Yamaha THR and wasn't happy with it. The clean sound was okay-ish (not inspiring) but also pretty weak/low volume through headphones.

I don't really want to spend more than $400, but I could potentially be convinced if there's a considerably option for a little more money.

You might try guitarX,  runs on Linux which you could run in a VM on a Windows pc if that's what you've got.  It should give you a view of what's possible for really cheap and then you can decide if you're interested in paying money for actual hardware.

Sadie-f said:
You might try guitarX,  runs on Linux which you could run in a VM on a Windows pc if that's what you've got.  It should give you a view of what's possible for really cheap and then you can decide if you're interested in paying money for actual hardware.

Thanks Sadie, I hadn't really considered running things through the computer. I have a mac though, do you know of any options for that?

ragamuffin said:
Sadie-f said:

Thanks Sadie, I hadn't really considered running things through the computer. I have a mac though, do you know of any options for that?

Oh and sorry, I misspelled, it's actually GuitariX.

I found this rundown, most aren't free however

https://alternativeto.net/software/guitarix/?platform=mac

Jebberz said:
For Mac, Mainstage is dirt cheap, and really does the job.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out!

I got to play around with an Iridium today and was very impressed with it

I have had an Iridium for a couple of years. It's a nice option for quiet practice and DI recording. I like the simplicity of it. It's very “amp-like” and with a good set of headphones and a little bit of the room reverb, it really does sound like an amp, at least to me.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but consider the Carl Martin Rock Bug.  It has an 1/4" guitar input (it handles a signal from a pedal board just fine), and RCA input for jamming, a 1/4" output that can be sent to headphones, and a balanced out.  The circuit sounds great.  It's not "lo-fi" compared to the fancy IR gear, just "lower tech". 

If I don't want to use headphones, I can run the Rock Bug into a 8" monitor.  Using a Sansamp GT-2 for more amp-like sounds, I can get a lot of great sounds, with our without headphones.  Throw in a drum pedal and a looper, and you've got yourself a great practice rig. 

Thanks guys! I ended up ordering a used Iridium online and got it yesterday. I haven't had too much time to mess around with it yet but I'm liking it a lot!

Back