He-he, Trem lock

ChristopherG

20120204-183746.jpg

I have no idea, I grabbed this pic off the web.

Having said that, I have several better bolt locks of this type that are pretty snug. I don't think I would use a two dollar special for this particular application. lol

It's a good "hack" a.k.a. problem solving. Maybe a spring to backup the bolt would help keep it from rattling.

@Chritopher G.. Evil Dead fan?

Maybe stick a little rubber booty on the end that contacts the block, too, for additional quietude.

TroubledTreble said:
It's a good "hack" a.k.a. problem solving. Maybe a spring to backup the bolt would help keep it from rattling.

@Chritopher G.. Evil Dead fan?

Bruce is one of the most under appreciated actors of all time. Yeah I like Evil Dead/Army of Darkness but Bubba Hotep is a work of unparalleled genius.

Wouldn't work though would it? You'd still be able to dive, unless it's put so far forward it would be stuck in dive, in which the action would raised and the intonation would have to be reset. if you ever had to take it off. A bit of wood would have worked easier.

amigarobbo said:
Wouldn't work though would it? You'd still be able to dive, unless it's put so far forward it would be stuck in dive, in which the action would raised and the intonation would have to be reset. if you ever had to take it off. A bit of wood would have worked easier.

That style lock--the ones designed to go in guitars, that is--does exactly that, turns a trem into a dive only affair.

amigarobbo said:

If setup properly, I think it would operate very much like the lock on a Jazzmaster trem. If you broke a string and the trem pulled sharp, then you would dive it, engage the door latch, and be back in tune when the trem returned to rest against it. The tricky part would be in getting the setup such that when the tremolo was floating and the guitar was in tune, the trem block would be right where the door latch would engage it. I'm not sure how I'd get on with being restricted to two springs to accommodate it, but otherwise it's a clever piece of engineering!

I think it's actually spelled "troof" in the liner notes, but I don't have my copy here to verify.  I'd check the internet, but I'd rather trust my own lyin' eyes than someone else's.

You're right, my memory failed me. It's "troof". See here.

I'm so ashamed. One of my favorite of his tunes from that album.

Kool hack as previously said, but one that I modified I just set the bridge where I wanted it and screwed down a block of wood. No rattle.... :laughing7:

Back