haven't been doing much with guitars lately

rahimiiii

I have one Eden northern ash body that's sitting there waiting for sanding sealer because it's too cold and wet to paint... and probably will stay that way for a few weeks...

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Can someone suggest a paint scheme? I was going to do it in paint but maybe cherryburst is an option here??

In the meantime I have been trying to build a 4x12 cab. I acquired a lot of tools including a jig saw, a laminate trimmer as well as a router in the course of this project. I have the cabinet put together right now, rounded off the corners and put casters on it to make moving it around easier (the caster will come off before tolex)

I used a butt joint because I didn't have a router at the time and I will need to fill in a lot of mistakes as well as imperfections and cut out the back jack panel hole, speaker cutout, and attach the brace to the baffle...

here are a few pictures...

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

note: the back was trimmed flush with the router because I had ordered the boards too wide so I corrected it with a jig saw... the router was the best 120 dollars I spent because it was immensely useful for many tasks like getting a straight cut or making the groove for the piping channel, and of course building a guitar from scratch rather than pre-fabricated parts.

Should I use the router to make the speaker cutout? or the jig saw?
I also need to make a 2 inch hole at the back for the jackplate but I don't want to buy a holesaw just for this task, and the hole is too small for the jig saw, and I have no idea how to set up a circle cutting jig on a router to make a hole this small...

hey

Nice work dude! Id use the jig saw for the speaker cuttouts. Can you show us a picture of the rear jackplate so we can get an idea of how it goes on there?

Brian

rough it with the jig the finish with the router, cleaner cut and a much rounder circle. that's at leasr how i'd do it.

jackthehack said:
Aren't you going to fill that ash body?

Yea, but I still need to spray a washcoat first.

I don't have the jackplate yet... I am ordering one but it said it needed a 2 inch round cutout. Without a template how do I use a router to make sure that it's actually nice and round? I think I need to build a circle cutting jig for the router though.

For a 2" hole, you can do that with a drill and a hole saw. It looks like you've already got the bulk of it assembled, so I think a hole saw would be easier than using a router.

For circles with a router, I like my Jasper circle jigs. You'll need a plunge-base router for that. Plus, I've only used the circle jig on unassembled pieces, flat on the bench with a sacrificial scrap underneath.

ETA: Oh, and everything else on your cab looks solid. It will sound good when you get it all together.

I think ash is one of the most nicely figured, under rated woods, the grain is beautifull.

neilium said:
For a 2" hole, you can do that with a drill and a hole saw. It looks like you've already got the bulk of it assembled, so I think a hole saw would be easier than using a router.

For circles with a router, I like my Jasper circle jigs. You'll need a plunge-base router for that. Plus, I've only used the circle jig on unassembled pieces, flat on the bench with a sacrificial scrap underneath.

ETA: Oh, and everything else on your cab looks solid. It will sound good when you get it all together.

I don't know.. I rather not go and buy a hole saw just for one hole... anyways I found that my laminate trimmer has a circle jig and I used it to cut out the baffle. but I don't think it will do a small 2 inch hole. I guess I will have to cope it out with a coping saw...

Back