Has anyone tried a Bare Knuckles 'Cold Sweat' set of pups?

I know Orpheo has Nailbombs in his Gold Flake LP...

Every guy that I chat about told me the are Bare Knuckles are better than Seymour Duncan... When my guitar get ready it will have a Mules A4 set then I'll let you know

I haven't tried the Cold Sweat (yet) but I have a Nailbomb which I have tried in a Charvel and two Ibanez guitars. It sounds great in all of them and is very versatile despite the high output, it shows the difference in tone between the three instruments even though they are all essentially the same construction (bolt on neck, basswood bodies, floyd type bridge). I also have a pickup that Tim Mills custom made for me, it's very good too and I'm planning on swapping it between a few guitars to see which it suits best. A well made pickup will certainly make a big difference to your sound.

I exclusively use Bareknuckles and buy pickups first then design my Warmoth guitar concept around them.

I have the Warpigs, Mississippi Queen neck, Apaches and set of Irish Tours waiting for a strat!

Hey gingataff - what you building mister?  :glasses9:

A friend of mine bought a VH2 pickup.  Expecting the 'brown' sound, he was disappointed with a toppy, thin sound.  The poles were too wide, too.  He bought an F-spaced DiMarzio Tone Zone and has never looked back.  Don't know whether it was the one pickup or what, but...  I don't know about the Cold Sweat pickups, but Bare Knuckles generally get good reviews.

VH2 has this caractery because of the Van Halen Sound... it's not a Les Paul kind of sound... tone zone is very far away in equalization from VH2, for that kind of sound probably would be better the Holydiver... But I've heard a guy playing it with .012 string gauge and sounded very fat...
http://www.myspace.com/scaramofo
If I'm not wrong is the Mr Feelboobs soung... It's a cover of Motley Crue's Louder Than Satan for what I understood (sorry I don't know much about M.C.)

The Cold Sweats I can't vouch for, but the Crawler set I had in my Les Paul Standard were by far the most responsive, harmonically-rich humbuckers I have ever played.  Curse the penury that forced the sale of that guitar!  However, it's now rockin' in Iceland so how can that be all bad?

Seriously, although they were quite expensive, I thought the Bare Knuckles I had in that LP made the difference between a good-sounding guitar and an amazing-sounding one.  In the past 32 years I have tried most of the major brands, and even some of the obscure ones (anyone remember P.J. Marx pickups?), and to my ears nothing better than the BK's has yet come down the pike.

cjpm

I should hold my hands up here and say that in the end I decided that the BKs were just a shade too rich for me at this point, so I've opted for an SD Alternative 8 in tandem with a SH2n Jazz. But the idea hasn't totally gone away, and I may be back later.

Chris of Arabia said:
I should hold my hands up here and say that in the end I decided that the BKs were just a shade too rich for me at this point, so I've opted for an SD Alternative 8 in tandem with a SH2n Jazz. But the idea hasn't totally gone away, and I may be back later.

Why have cotton when you can have silk... :glasses9:

I'd never heard of Bare Knuckles pups before.  This cold sweat one sounds like it'd be badass in the bridge slot of a Les Paul

I've used a calibrated set of Nailbombs in my Charvel for the past year, and they're phenomenal.

I'm planning a Warmoth Tele, and am planning to load it up with a Bare Knuckle "The Boss" set.

But no, no Cold Sweats - I'd recommend that you visit http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum and have a look at the players section.  Loads of clips of Cold Sweats there.

Mark.

Back