Has anyone ever tried the Kahler beind the nut string lock?

What's the best locking nut?

• Floyd Rose Style

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Kahler Behind Nut String Lock

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • There's Something Better!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HMstratocaster

Alright, so I've been looking at some locking nuts. :laughing7: I've used guitars with Floyd Rose style nuts and in fact I own a few. But It seems like the Floyd Rose locking nuts seem to get in my way and are sometimes set a little too high, especially on the high e. Wich bothers me when I'm playing things like the intro to "La Villa Strangiato" So recently I've been looking at Kahlers and I kinda like the idea of having the locking system behind the nut because then it's not in my way and I like having a normal sized nut more than the Floyd ones. But it make me wonder. Is there a problem with having the strings still on the regular nut? I mean if they're well lubricated does it matter? So if anyone has any experience with the Kaler behind the nut string lockers (or whatever you wanna call them) let me know some of the Pros and Cons!  :icon_biggrin:

:rock-on:

HM

P.S.  I don't want this to turn into a debate about "Whose tremolo is better" Just about the PROS AND CONS OF THE KAHLER STRING LOCK.

kahler-standard-nuts-01.jpg

1984_FR_head.jpg

HMstratocaster said:
P.S.  I don't want this to turn into a debate about "Whose tremolo is better" Just about the PROS AND CONS OF THE KAHLER STRING LOCK.

Thank you - choice of whammy is very personal.

I think one solid advantage the Kahler string lock has is the possibility to use various compensated nuts - like Buzz Feiten or Earvana. Also nut material is entirely up to the user's preference.

HMstratocaster said:
Aw yeah man I didn't think of that! I've had intonation problems with Floyd nuts too!

Yeah, not all guitars are equally terrible but to me, no one sounds how I'd like them to sound, ie in tune. It's down to the basic physics of it all I'm afraid, so as long as we still use straight frets we'll just have to suffer  :sad1:

Hmmmm, I remember seeing some kind of article about compensating frets on the warmoth main page. I mean I know there are compensating frets out there, have you looked into them?

P.S. Let's still try to keep this topic on the Kahler locker.

http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php

This looks weird - but I've heard that it stays 100% intonated on every fret with this type of neck

Yeah, that may be true but Steve Vai uses those very same necks. In the video of his new jemini pedal he's using one of those necks and he totally goes balls to the wall on he demonstrations.

The Kahler system seems like something I'd like more. The distance from lock to nut seems too small for tuning issues. Seems more comfortable. more adjustable, more better :p

The Norwegian Guy said:

This looks weird - but I've heard that it stays 100% intonated on every fret with this type of neck
Looks like a drunk guy did the fret install.... :laughing11:

Kinda kool looking in a way, looks like they were trying to mimic the sound wave of the string at that particular point on the fretboard... :icon_scratch:

I have used both the Kahler and Floyd nuts.  Both function well.  I like the clean look of the floyd but the Kahler works well too. 

IF you are worried about it causing tuning issues because of the distance between the nut, but it is a non issue.  Either way, both work well, just get what is most comfortable for you.

I like them both.  But, I found the Kahler one to more of a pain on string changes. YMMV

I have the Fender made Kahler on my strat. it works well and I havnt had any problems with it. bought the guitar in 91...it's held up over the years.

Brian

Blue313 said:
I like them both.  But, I found the Kahler one to more of a pain on string changes. YMMV

+1.  that is one thing I did not mention.  Trying to fish the strings thru are a pain...but it is a VERY minor annoyance.

DangerousR6 said:
The Norwegian Guy said:

Looks like a drunk guy did the fret install.... :laughing11:

Kinda kool looking in a way, looks like they were trying to mimic the sound wave of the string at that particular point on the fretboard... :icon_scratch:

The inventor painstakingly measured the exact position of each note on a fretless neck and marked them out. They offer several different temperaments depending on your style of music etc. According to the thorough review I read, bending is a non-issue.

ON TOPIC: Anyone tried the (now discontinued) 5514 stringlock? It's supposed to make string changes easier I think.

I once had a normal nut + kahler top lock, and the guitar wouldn't stay in tune, not even using the tremolobar! Now I have a floyd, and now, it does stay in tune.

just my 2 cents :)

Back