hardcore tele

Kentish

hey guys, so I'm building a telecaster, with a 28 5/8ths scale length, i play mostly hardcore/metal/metalcore etc... I have pretty much no clue which wood to use, so far I just have maple selected but would like some advice on what sounds better. let me know if you require any other info on helping me decide and any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Kentish

I'm pretty sure that the wood won't matter at all for really high gain music - the wood's contribution will be masked by all the gain. Most "metal guitars" just use light and cheap basswood for that reason. Then again, I don't even know the difference between hardcore and metalcore, so... :toothy11:

For metal, I like a mahogany or a basswood with a brighter sounding neck. Basswood/maple is a classic combo done by ibanez, jackson, charvel and others, but since this is warmoth I bet you could get a similar sound and good looks to boot with black korina/bubinga or similar.

Korina body and a Wenge neck is what I would do.  It has the Oommph that the mahogany bodies normally have, and the wenge will provide a nice amount of mid and cut into the mix.  Wenge is used frequently as a bass neck for that, and several other purposes.  With the high gain, the woods will make a difference, in my opinion, and make it sound quite a bit more rich than the cheaper stuff.  However, with Warmoth products, it seems that you would have a tough time making a bad guitar.  I will admit, I am a fan of both of the woods I mentioned.  Still, it will make a well balanced guitar with lots of growl, omph, and air on the high end.

Also, I would suggest Roadhouse pickups.  Ken made me a set of humbuckers for high gain, and they are great metal pickups.  The neck is all kinds of versatile, with slank tone to spare.  The bridge is similar to a BK Nailbomb, but a little smoother (not as static-y) in a very good way.  Marvelous pickups, great fun to play through the Engl.
Patrick

thanks for the help so far guys, keep it coming. definitely very helpful and useful. as far as pickups go I was planning on getting some bareknuckle nailbombs but will definitely look into those suggested.

Back