Hard finish=Brighter--------Oil finish=Warmer tone???

thephatboi

I just got a mahogany strat body and did a light nitro finish on it before stringing it up, and it is really bright, even acoustically. I have a mahogany tele I did a Watco oil finish on and it is pretty warm sounding. I even put the same neck on both for comparison and it was the same. I know each individual piece of wood sounds different obviously, but I got to wondering if the finishes might be a factor. I am not real happy with the brighter strat, was going for a more warm, darker rich tone and didnt get it. I was even thinking of stripping the hard finish and doing an oil finish on it....Anybody with experience please feel free to share what you think. BTW the neck I tried on both bodies was also a mahogany neck , all Warmoth stuff. thanks, Sean

Well, I've heard about the finish affecting the sound a little, but I've never heard of what you're talking about.

Well if you talk to any luthier that makes accoustic guitars he would probably not think of using an oil finish and you can be sure your fav accoustic will sound different without the finish that is on the top. I am pretty sure the finish effects an electric too, just more subtly, kinda surprised with all the anal-rententive guitar builders out there that this subject is not discussed or interesting to them...

thephatboi said:
Well if you talk to any luthier that makes accoustic guitars he would probably not think of using an oil finish and you can be sure your fav accoustic will sound different without the finish that is on the top. I am pretty sure the finish effects an electric too, just more subtly, kinda surprised with all the anal-rententive guitar builders out there that this subject is not discussed or interesting to them...

OT: ...which is why I love the satin finish on my Art & Lutherie.

I've heard people claim that nitro gives a better tone that poly. Also that poly won't allow the wood to dry out like nitro so it won't change as much over time. I personally don't have ears good enough to notice things like this and also don't have access to enough different guitars to have a real informed opinion.

Much has been said here about body wood having only a little influence on tone. If that's true how can a thin layer of finish influence tone at all?

The principal effect of finish on tone, depends on the price paid, and claims made to justify the price.  As in most things in guitar-land, there is great debate, usually with the "rare and/or expensive, therefore better" side winning the argument, as they are apt to do, based on the Golden Rule.  That is, he who has (or has spent) the gold, rules. 

I think the actual difference is in the two pieces of mahogany, which can very greatly in density/tone. Strip both and put the opposite finish on them, they'll still sound the same as they do now.

Back