H-S-S advice!

C

Cederick

I'm going to put this evertuned Warmoth guitar in a few weeks (parts are coming :icon_biggrin:) and  I wonder what I should do with the wiring!

n3q98h.jpg

My questions;

Should I go with two regular pots (vol/tone), and 5 way switch? That means:
1. Humbucker
2. Humb. coil split + middle
3. middle
4. middle + neck
5. neck

Or a push/pull pot? You should know the schematics of this haha

Or add an additional coil split switch?

I'm not sure what I wanna do myself, but I think my least favorite is the push-pull, but it doesn't change the visuals of the guitar like an additional switch do.

Worth noting is that I'm not worrying (at least not too much) about volume drop from humbucker to single coil, because I will use this mostly for recording and not live, so I will mostly just go with one setting for one take and so on

While I do want this guitar for diversity, I'm not sure if I even want the tone knob.
Barely use it at all regurarly, but it may come in handy when I need a softer sound out of the guitar.
I don't think it would sound the same just turning down the high frequences in the mix either, but not sure

Jumble Jumble said:
If as you say you're not fussed about the volume thing, then I would go with the 1-5 arrangement you describe, and no switch of any kind.

I would use this diagram.
The con with that is I can't play with only bridge as a single coil, I guess?

Maybe I could try it out without tone first but still install the tone knob for looks? If I'm not satisfied I can just solder it on.

I don't even know how hard it is to install a tone knob, I've only done single humbucker installs before (it's so simple hahaha)

I'm probably gonna install a Fender no-load tone pot, that makes it bypass when on not turned down, so I guess it should sound no much different than no tone at all

A no-load pot is completely removed from the circuit when on 10, yes. It doesn't really make much difference though.

A bridge humbucker split to single coil, on its own, wouldn't be a very good sound anyway.

Installing a tone pot is very, very easy. And it's one wire to remove or cut if you want to take it out of the circuit.

Jumble Jumble said:
A no-load pot is completely removed from the circuit when on 10, yes. It doesn't really make much difference though.

A bridge humbucker split to single coil, on its own, wouldn't be a very good sound anyway.

Installing a tone pot is very, very easy. And it's one wire to remove or cut if you want to take it out of the circuit.
Okay :) my favorite sound with single coils is bridge/middle anyway, so I guess I will live happily with that combo.

So, I guess I will simply go with this, a 5 switch only and no split switch.

Does anyone know a good diagram for this? I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion with black, white and ground only.
No green (as I think some newer ones have? Or does this mean I cannot coil split it?

I would use a 3 way switch for series/singlecoil/parallel wiring, a TBX tone control, and a push/push volume for a 7 sound mod (adding the neck pickup to the bridge pickup for tele style sound). I have it on my strats with a Duncan JB brigde humbucker and it rocks!

Cederick said:
Jumble Jumble said:

Okay :) my favorite sound with single coils is bridge/middle anyway, so I guess I will live happily with that combo.

So, I guess I will simply go with this, a 5 switch only and no split switch.

Does anyone know a good diagram for this? I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion with black, white and ground only.
No green (as I think some newer ones have? Or does this mean I cannot coil split it?

The diagram I posted is fine, you just have to work out what the equivalents of the wire colours are. You'll be able to split it - one of the wires will be the equivalent of the red/white pair in the diagram.

Back