Guitar'd Center - What would you do?

i wasnt really gettin bent out of shape. i was just looking for answers. everyone is definately entitled to their own opinions. the receipt check are designed to make sure the serial number you were rung up for matches the item youre taking home. it's not really like an all out security check but it does double as that.

I went in there one time when there were no Maxes trying to "shred" and I still couldn't hear my SG over the Creed they had blasting over the radio/intercom. GC isn't the first place I'll go when I'm shopping for a new guitar, that's for sure.

They don't have any in stock. They can special order them though. You would have to pay for them now and they should arrive from the manufacterer in about 3 weeks. When they come in they will be the wrong color so they will get you the right ones sent over night from a store close by.

pabloman said:
Corn poop is way better than corn syrup.
I hear all this GC sucks mumbo jumbo yet nobody can really back it up with any substantial evidence. Sure evryone has stories about some DB sales guy but nothing about GC itself. GC is owned by the people who own best buy so kinda pointless to shop there while boycotting GC. GC has done so much for the industry that most of you people don't even recognize. 80 bucks to install actives in a bass seems reasonable. If she was looking for random people to do work for her I'm sure she would just ask people randomly. By people demanding the lowest possible prices certain things need to be cut. The day of a knowledgable sales guy who cares are slipping away. It's all about the clerks now. People are so easy to just run to the internet for their orders. The intangible is the service after the sale. People have quit placing a value on that and all aspects of customer service. It amazes me how consumers won't give a sales guy any respect yet feel they deserve to have their backsides kissed.That sales guy still gets paid wether he kisses you, you kiss him or you go home and wait a week to get your gear cuase yoou ordered it from MF. GC owns them too.

A few things out of this.

1. I know for a fact that GC takes returns and if they aren't scratched or messed up in anyway they put them back on the floor as new.

2. Regardless of if the customer comes in screaming to high heaven, the customer is always right. The work ethic in America has dropped to an all time low. Customer service is pretty much out the door. I don't care if some shlep is getting paid 4.50 and hour for the suckiest job on the planet, when a customer comes in treat them with respect. I'm willing to guess you'd lose quite a bit of customer attitude if the person at the counter wasn't acting like an assclown.

Last time I was home I went to rent a car at the airport. The girl behind the counter actually sat there talking to her friend on her cell phone while I waited to be taken care of. I was patient at first but as the minutes dragged on I finally had to let her have it I told her to hang up the F'ing phone and take care of the customers. Of course I knew any service for me was pretty much gone after that so I asked her to get the manager to take care of me. I then let his ass have it for letting his employees do stuff like that and walked out and went across the street to the other car company.

I'm one of the nicest people you'd ever meet and when I go into a place and get good service I will reciprocate. I know a lot of these people in shops have a long boring day so I try my best to be friendly and funny with them. Piss me off though and all bets are off. hehe!
MULLY

pabloman said:
Corn poop is way better than corn syrup.
I hear all this GC sucks mumbo jumbo yet nobody can really back it up with any substantial evidence. Sure evryone has stories about some DB sales guy but nothing about GC itself. GC is owned by the people who own best buy so kinda pointless to shop there while boycotting GC. GC has done so much for the industry that most of you people don't even recognize. 80 bucks to install actives in a bass seems reasonable. If she was looking for random people to do work for her I'm sure she would just ask people randomly. By people demanding the lowest possible prices certain things need to be cut. The day of a knowledgable sales guy who cares are slipping away. It's all about the clerks now. People are so easy to just run to the internet for their orders. The intangible is the service after the sale. People have quit placing a value on that and all aspects of customer service. It amazes me how consumers won't give a sales guy any respect yet feel they deserve to have their backsides kissed.That sales guy still gets paid wether he kisses you, you kiss him or you go home and wait a week to get your gear cuase yoou ordered it from MF. GC owns them too.

Pablo, ma man, this question has got to be asked in the interests of personal credibility, to your own responses: Do you work for GC or have an interest in them, financially? Please answer this, as you seem rather quick to leap to their defence and trash talk those who differ.

I did work for GC. It was a brand new store that was new to town. It was a great experience and I learned so much. We treated people right and the customers loved us. I got to experience a ton of cool stuff. They flew us out to Long Beach for a sales meeting and retreat. I met tons of artists and got to actually talk to them at length and have some real conversations with them. We would host an open mic night at a local bar and supply the instruments and PA. This was before GC did repairs so I did them on the side and made tons of money and I still have customers because of it. I just really wanted to hear the reasons for peoples opinions. I wanted to know WHY. I personally do not care for most of the merchandise they carry so I don't go there anymore. There are a ton of things wrong with that place and I wanted to hear the reasons other people had. That's all.

pabloman said:
I did work for GC. It was a brand new store that was new to town. It was a great experience and I learned so much. We treated people right and the customers loved us. I got to experience a ton of cool stuff. They flew us out to Long Beach for a sales meeting and retreat. I met tons of artists and got to actually talk to them at length and have some real conversations with them. We would host an open mic night at a local bar and supply the instruments and PA. This was before GC did repairs so I did them on the side and made tons of money and I still have customers because of it. I just really wanted to hear the reasons for peoples opinions. I wanted to know WHY. I personally do not care for most of the merchandise they carry so I don't go there anymore. There are a ton of things wrong with that place and I wanted to hear the reasons other people had. That's all.

Besides the stories so many people have, what exactly did you want? Recordings or something? If we're relating experiences we've had with ignorant, unmotivated sales reps, what proof do we have besides the other thousands of us with the same stories?

It sounds like you worked for them a while back, and may be the circumstances were better because of the size of the chain.  Chances are it isn't that way now.  The same has happened with Wal-Mart.  The store used to have integrity...but I digress.

It's been my belief that the talent pool has been spread too thin to have that many GCs be good.  To fill a store with x amount of employees and have them be knowledgeable on several products and a passion for helping people find what they need musically, it might could happen if there weren't 5+ other stores in a 50 mile radius trying to do the same thing.  My first GC experience was in '95 in Houston.  It was a trek for a group of us.  It was planned in adavance and there were usually a few strangers, or friends of friends, tagging along that heard we were going.  We only went a few times a year and made a day of it.  It was a magic place because it had all the name brands in every style and color under one roof.  Back then, they'd let you play the stuff like they do now, but they made sure you weren't wearing anything that could scratch the gear.  If you were just wanking or jamming, they'd put an end to that real quick too.  Now I would drive past 3 to get to that one.  The last few times I've been in one, I couldn't count the instruments on one hand that were missing knobs.

I was wanting to hear what about the entity was disliked. It seemed all of the negative comments were aimed at the corporation. I was curious if it was a corporate thing or just DB sales guys. Recordings won't be necessary. Thank you for offering though. I have really explained this all before. I don't know how else to explain it. What was it you dislike and why. That was it. Plain and simple. If you aren't interested in conversing then don't post. I don't care.
knucklehead G said:

Besides the stories so many people have, what exactly did you want? Recordings or something? If we're relating experiences we've had with ignorant, unmotivated sales reps, what proof do we have besides the other thousands of us with the same stories?
[/quote]

pabloman said:
They flew us out to Long Beach for a sales meeting and retreat. I met tons of artists and got to actually talk to them at length and have some real conversations with them.

Cool. Who did you meet?

OK let me start off by saying that I live in Pueblo Colorado so the caliber of acts comming through town is not too high. One of the coolest people I got to meet was Carlos Cavaso. He was so awesome and an amazing guitar player. He showed me some really crazy flamenco stuff. One night we had the Hollywood All Stars come through and they used a bunch of our gear. Vinny Appice was a cool guy. We lent gear to Great White and that was cool too. In Long Beach we met Vernon Reid and Bootsie Collins. Bootsie Collins was doing some weird motivational speaking life lesson kind of stuff. It was great. He talked alot about James Brown and the work that goes into being a professional musician. It was great. Monte Montgomery was another guy. That dude is bad. If you never heard of him check him out on youtube.

Back