Guitar String Gauges

What gauges of guitar strings do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I had a choice, I would run 10-52. I play mostly Fender-style guitars, and they love big butt low E strings.

My insanely acidic hands relegate me to whatever will not rot away immediately.

RLW said:
If I had a choice, I would run 10-52. I play mostly Fender-style guitars, and they love big butt low E strings.

Ok, just for you I have added "Big butt low E (10-52)" to the poll.  :toothy11:

JBD

ognolman said:
RLW said:

Ok, just for you I have added "Big butt low E (10-52)" to the poll.  :toothy11:

JBD

Butt, butt, I've ALREADY voted!!!

:laughing7:

You, sir, are allright.

I use 9's and 10's depending on the guitar. I'm thinking of trying the 9's with the heavy bass strings on my LP, or maybe that extra light plus type.

Most of my guitars are strung up with 9's.  A couple have 10's.  Once I get the nut filed, my f-hole strat will have 13's; it currently has 10's.

DocNrock said:
Most of my guitars are strung up with 9's.  A couple have 10's.  Once I get the nut filed, my f-hole strat will have 13's; it currently has 10's.

Is it legal to say "nut" and "f-hole" in the same sentence?  :laughing11:

Added "Other" category for those with more arcane tastes.

RLW said:
You, sir, are allright.

Glad I can be of service.  I think I made it so you can vote again if you haven't already...

JBD

D'Addario 10's every time in every situation.  If that company goes out of business I may stop plaing.  The only time I differ is when we're talking acoustic, but hey who cares about those!

RLW said:
It won't let me vote for my beloved "big-butts", but I certainly appreciate the effort.

Oh, well-- Sorry 'bout that.  The big butts are getting some votes, though!

JBD

Heavy, 12-54 or 56 depending on the set.  Use to play 13's but it just got kind of stupid... hands would cramp.  Loved the sound though.  Tuned to Eb though, no superman here.

10's on my LP and Fender 150XL's on the other electrics...

.009 .011 .015 .024 .032 .040

Not too different from a regular 09 set and I used to run them only on my Ibanez, but I got lazy about buying so many different types of strings...

Looks like I'm the only one (so far) who likes the "hybrid" light strings (9-46).  :icon_scratch:

They seem to be the most comfortable for both my 24 3/4" and 25 1/2" scale guitars ... added to that my fingers like bending the 9's, but I love the chunk of the 36 and 46 on the bottom.

BTW ... been using D'addarios forever ... and probably always will for my guitars.  I prefer the Ernie Balls for my bass.  :party07:

Back