Guitar side input jacks sizes (?)

robzebr

Why the need for the different size jack drillings on the side of the guitar body?

1/2, 3/4?....  If I'm just plugging in a standard instrument cable... why the need for the different size choices...?

This should help,
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/SidejackOptions.aspx

First off, OUTPUT jack!

In any case, why the need for any other choice on a guitar? Why doesn't everyone play the same guitar? :blob7:

line6man said:
First off, OUTPUT jack!

In any case, why the need for any other choice on a guitar? Why doesn't everyone play the same guitar? :blob7:

Output jack... you know what I meant...

No, but when on any given body there is an option for different size drill holes ... and I'm attaching a 1/4" OUTPUT cable...  I'd hate to order a body and order the drilling for the jack incorrectly...

robzebr said:
line6man said:
First off, OUTPUT jack!

No, but when on any given body there is an option for different size drill holes ... and I'm attaching a 1/4" OUTPUT cable...  I'd hate to order a body and order the drilling for the jack incorrectly...

This one happens to be one of line6man's pet peeves - don't take it personally.  And it's always better to ask first and be thought a fool, than to order without asking and end up having wasted one's dough on the wrong thing. 

robzebr said:
line6man said:
First off, OUTPUT jack!

All jacks have a 1/4" connector, but the outer diameter is subject to variation, depending on the design. Some people like 1/2" endpin-style connectors that fit snugly in a hole with a nut in the control cavity. Others prefer panel-mount jacks on a plate secured with screws. Etc.

Pick whichever drilling you prefer, and then order a jack for it accordingly. Each style has its pros and cons. Some people choose on aesthetic, some choose based on tradition, some choose because they find a particular style more reliable than another, some even choose based on what sort of parts they have in their parts drawer.

It's an input jack. It's named for its physical connection not its electrical function.

line6man said:
First off, OUTPUT jack!
Potaaaaato, potawwwwwto, tomaaaatoe, tomawwwwtoe...opinions and views are like buttholes, everybody's got thier own...:icon_biggrin:

pabloman said:
It's an input jack. It's named for its physical connection not its electrical function.
Makes no sense - it'd mean there was no such thing as an "output jack". The part on an amp where you plug in your speaker would be called the "speaker input". The HDMI port on my blu-ray player would be called the "HDMI Input".

Jumble Jumble said:
pabloman said:
Makes no sense - it'd mean there was no such thing as an "output jack". The part on an amp where you plug in your speaker would be called the "speaker input". The HDMI port on my blu-ray player would be called the "HDMI Input".
It's sort of an oxymoron...But really I'm just giving Joseph grief... :laughing11:

Ya know - I never even thought about 7/8" and the edge radius.  It's even an option on 1/2" radius bodies. (Body blanks are 1.75"T, 2r +7/8 = 1.875 - although the first 1/16" doesn't fall off very fast.)

Also, don't beat up on the new guys - the Warmoth builder actually says
warmoth-inputjack_zps273ca1df.png

It makes perfect sense. It's a lot easier to understand if you have a firm grasp of the whole male/female insertion concept. :icon_biggrin: I'll cut you some slack. :icon_jokercolor:

Well, I did find line6man's tagline ironic given his insistance that its an output jack, and how hung up he gets about people who think differently.

I understand, I'm just saying its a petty thing to harp on people's imprecise use of terminology, particularly when Warmoth kind of encourages the  imprecise usage.

pabloman said:
It makes perfect sense. It's a lot easier to understand if you have a firm grasp of the whole male/female insertion concept. :icon_biggrin: I'll cut you some slack. :icon_jokercolor:
So you actually ARE saying you'd call the the HDMI port on a blu-ray player an input? And same for speaker output on an amp? That's an input? How about power? Plug your amp into a wall inlet?

I agree that it doesn't really matter as there's only one jack socket on most guitars anyway. I never pick people up on it. But I do think it's an output. If its not then, like I say, no plug on any device can be called an output, and guitar leads have an "output" at both ends, and plug into inputs at each end.

I just noticed my MIDI interface is completely mislabelled. It has IN, OUT and THRU. Obviously they should be labelled IN, IN and THIS ONE'S IN TOO, DUFUS.

"variously claimed to stand for direct input, direct injection or direct interface". Isn't that just because everyone knows what DI means though? Kinda backed up by the fact that the thing is sometimes labelled as a "DI output".

Jumble Jumble said:
pabloman said:
So you actually ARE saying you'd call the the HDMI port on a blu-ray player an input? And same for speaker output on an amp? That's an input? How about power? Plug your amp into a wall inlet?

I agree that it doesn't really matter as there's only one jack socket on most guitars anyway. I never pick people up on it. But I do think it's an output. If its not then, like I say, no plug on any device can be called an output, and guitar leads have an "output" at both ends, and plug into inputs at each end.

I'm not the one that named it a port. Do you know what port means and how it is used? Like a receptacle so it would be a physical input. Did you know that your HDMI "output" is usually capable of receiving a signal also? This is to allow multiple device control with one remote. It's part of the HDMI protocol. Any piece of gear that has a jack that is labeled input or output is labeled that way for the function that the connection provides. They aren't trying to tell you what kind of part is installed. So yes a "speaker out" is an output of signal towards a speaker. Why would they label it 1/4 in. female TS jack? So are you saying one end of the cord is an input jack and the other end is the output jack?...........Let me totally blow your mind, are you ready? It's also called a phone jack! A phone jack, what the hell I can't call somebody with it. Your examples were pretty humorous though. I was only talking about one specific part and not every other connection method in any other industry. There are many different practices among the industries and I was only talking about the one. Seriously who cares though.  :eek:ccasion14:

Back