GUITAR (or bass) OF THE MONTH: APRIL: owner finished

rahimiiii said:
Ok it's not completely finished yet but all major work is done all that is left is clear coating and polishing. This is my second acoustic guitar build. This was made from a LMI unserviced kit. For those familiar with LMI their unserviced kit consists of a box of wood and other parts required to make a guitar (truss rods, tuners, inlays, bindings, and what have you) and a bill of materials and blueprints. Back and sides are just thin pieces of wood that are about 1/8" thick and the right sizes needed for a guitar, top is same, and neck is a plank of wood. Only thing I had LMI do for me is slot and radius the fretboard. The easy part of acoustics is that painting is not as difficult since a clear coat will suffice in most cases, in the rare case that a sunburst top is done the complexity is just like any other electric guitar plus masking the binding and rosettes. Only thing to watch out for is keeping the film thin to avoid sucking the tone.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

To view more pictures please click here: http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/rahimiiii/second%20acoustic/
Wow...nice acoustic, is the back and sides bubinga?

DangerousR6 said:
Wow...nice acoustic, is the back and sides bubinga?

Top is Englemann spruce, back and side is Bubinga, Neck is sapele (because hondo manogany is CITES restricted therefore unavailable, next build the neck will be of African (Khaya) Mahogany), binding is curly maple, fretboard and bridge is ebony. I may use sonokling rosewood (basically plantation grown indian rosewood from Indonesia) as fretboard and bridge next time, depending on what I can get locally. My next guitar will hopefully use as little imported component as possible to keep cost down.

Back