Guitar of the Month Contests resuming! (please read)

GOM

Thought I'd say the GOTM contest is on track - never really off track, just a little breather.

As you may or may not realize, the folks who run the Guitar of the Month competition are just nameless longtime forum folks, who have selflessly volunteered their time and efforts (and bandwidth, and hard drive space, and, and... etc).

The brief interruption in the contest was due to a combination of folks getting even more busy in their personal lives, and previously having to take time from already busy personal matters in order to run the contest.  So, a little breather space was needed.  Time to decompress, and time to get personal things (ie, work, family... ya know..."that" stuff!) settled a little.

The contest is a good one - and the folks who run it believe that to the core!  Speaking personally, I never failed to get a thrill or be amazed at the creativity and artisan talent of everyone who submitted instruments.

There is a new (to remain nameless) helper working with staff running the contest.  This is a much needed relief.  To some, getting online to read and chat is no big deal.  For others, sometimes... just looking at the weather map online is a time out.  Running the contest involves daily monitoring of things for two weeks a month.  Constant checking, updating, copy, pasting, downloading, uploading... has to be done at least once a day.  Having a new helper will make things run better. 

I'll also say, there is a "ok good" system in place to administer everything, and things were set up to try and keep the contest fair and honest and transparent to everyone - especially those who submitted entries.

On that last item, there were submissions made for December, January, February and even March, that were not used.  For December, we had a past runners up contest, no new submissions.  For the other months, the contest was "on break".

I personally apologize to anyone who made submissions, expecting them to be in a contest.  Actually, it was only two or three people, but all shall remain nameless (to keep the contest fair).  There was no slight or bad intent toward any submission.  There was a major time crunch in personal affairs of staff, and .. well ... a little bit of feeling burnt out too.

We're recharged! 

So let the games... I mean... CONTESTS.... begin!

Thanks everyone! :icon_smile:

I think all future winning entries should be represented by Max's guitar of the decade photo

That Tele is going down when I enter my Walnut/Maple/Bubinga/Rosewood/Ebony SuperStrat. :evil4:

Oh, snap, just in time for me to start sanding my G4...

I forget, everyone still likes gold hardware, right??

...guys? :dontknow:

Rickgrxbass said:
Oh, snap, just in time for me to start sanding my G4...

I forget, everyone still likes gold hardware, right??

...guys? :dontknow:
LOL_Face.jpg

As the forum member that everyone loves the most, I declare gold hardware is out and black hardware is in. :icon_jokercolor:

Joey, you don't have the necessary equipment to claim that title, sorry.  As a related aside, I may actually enter a guitar or bass... but not when you enter that amazing strat, because I'll be voting for it, even if someone else enters something handcrafted by naked spanish women and finished in the blood of my enemies.

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
Joey, you don't have the necessary equipment to claim that title, sorry.  As a related aside, I may actually enter a guitar or bass... but not when you enter that amazing strat, because I'll be voting for it, even if someone else enters something handcrafted by naked spanish women and finished in the blood of my enemies.

-Mark

I think you just described the finish on DBU's next build......

AprioriMark said:

-Mark

I also declare that Mark is lame. And that Marko must regale us with tales of his youth as a singer in a Dutch trucker band.

Wyliee said:
AprioriMark said:

-Mark

I've seen you W folk.  I hope none of you are dressing up like Spanish women.

And, yeah, DBU surely has been collecting "finishing materials" in jars for some time.

-Mark

Wyliee said:
AprioriMark said:

-Mark

:headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:

:toothy12:

Hey sorry for a more serious question.

I submitted my entries Wednesday of this week and it's friday and they are not posted yet.  I'm not complaining at all.  I was just looking to make sure they were recieved.  Is there an estimated time that we should expect them to be posted and if they aren't what do we do?  I would not want to resend as your mailbox could get slammed!  I know we all appreciate all the work those responsible are doing to keep this activity happening.  Great work by all!!!!! :eek:ccasion14: :headbang: :hello2: :blob7:

Jcurl02 said:
I submitted my entries Wednesday of this week and it's friday and they are not posted yet
Is there an estimated time that we should expect them to be posted
if they aren't what do we do

a.  Staff handling the entries caught up most of them on Wednesday night - but not all.  Thursday, nothing happened as staff was away on business.  Its Friday early morning - we'll get to them today sometime.

b.  Time estimates - before the contest submission period ends.

c.  If you don't see your entry before the contest submission time is about to end - email uwfgom@gmail.com and ask about them.

Remember - this is all for fun. staff is all volunteer and do it in spare time, and they all have other scheduling commitments as well.

Thanks and understand.  Was not complaining.  I totally understand the time issue and thank all for their efforts!

Back