The Future of GOM

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
As you may already know, at the end of 2022 the person who volunteered their time to administer the GOM contest for the last 8 years has decided to retire. This leaves a pretty big vacuum.

Setting up the threads and posts requires more time than I have to spare right now, and no other volunteers have stepped forth, which leaves the future of GOM in question.

I really enjoy seeing y'alls guitars in the upper right corner, so I am proposing that instead of a monthly contest we make that image a "featured build" image, that rotates as often as I have time...sometimes monthly, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Thoughts? Alternative ideas?

Last edited:
I would hate to see it go away. I've really enjoyed seeing the winners in the past and more recently entering them myself. I hope you can find a new volunteer.

Seems like a good idea. I just like to see people's builds. It's hard to vote "this particular guitar" is better or more desireable than all the other entries submitted, when it's all a matter of personal taste anyway, and all of these guitars are custom-built to meet the owner's specific requirements. Your requirements will be different from mine, or the requirements of the other members who submitted their entries, so how can I say one is better than the other? I mean none of them were built to my personal taste. Only my builds are. I just like seeing everyone's build, and am always happy for them when they are successful in building the guitar that they want.

@Street Avenger mentioned seeing the builds of others, whether they are ever entered into GOM or not, is more the thing than who or what wins. I echo what he said.

Over the years sometimes GOM has had folks complaining that it is only established members that win, whereas there have been some winners who have not posted or participated at all before winning etc. There really is no pattern of who or what will win.

There are plenty of opportunities for members to post their guitars and others to see them. Out of the box, build threads, gallery of finished guitars etc. Some of the better or best guitars I have seen on the forum over the years have never been entered, so to rely solely on looking at which guitar won a GOM is missing out on a lot more great builds.

I like the idea of a featured build or builds banner, such as this year when there were joint winners that seemed to work well.

For various personal reasons, I am unable to take on the GOM role, in case anyone is wondering.

Seems like a good idea. I just like to see people's builds. It's hard to vote "this particular guitar" is better or more desireable than all the other entries submitted, when it's all a matter of personal taste anyway, and all of these guitars are custom-built to meet the owner's specific requirements. Your requirements will be different from mine, or the requirements of the other members who submitted their entries, so how can I say one is better than the other? I mean none of them were built to my personal taste. Only my builds are. I just like seeing everyone's build, and am always happy for them when they are successful in building the guitar that they want.

@Street Avenger mentioned seeing the builds of others, whether they are ever entered into GOM or not, is more the thing than who or what wins. I echo what he said.

Over the years sometimes GOM has had folks complaining that it is only established members that win, whereas there have been some winners who have not posted or participated at all before winning etc. There really is no pattern of who or what will win.

There are plenty of opportunities for members to post their guitars and others to see them. Out of the box, build threads, gallery of finished guitars etc. Some of the better or best guitars I have seen on the forum over the years have never been entered, so to rely solely on looking at which guitar won a GOM is missing out on a lot more great builds.

I like the idea of a featured build or builds banner, such as this year when there were joint winners that seemed to work well.

For various personal reasons, I am unable to take on the GOM role, in case anyone is wondering.

I agree with this.

We've now had several people volunteer to manage GOM, and I really appreciate their willingness, but I have decided to go the "featured build" route. I think it will be a smaller overall time commitment, while also giving more people the chance to see their build spotlighted.

In the coming weeks I will rearrange the forums in the Gallery section to reflect the new paradigm, and provide a place for forumites who wish to see their build spotlighted to submit photos.

Thanks again to GOM for all the time he has volunteered over the last eight years!

Back