Guitar neck reinforcements

C

Cederick

Especially during winter:
I've noticed my 3-piece maple Jackson, ESP and Ibanez (bass) necks often stays in tune overnight.
My 1-piece (I mean with glued fretboards of course) Warmoth and Fender necks often needs more attention.
In really cold days I can even watch the tuner go off a cent or so my Warmoth maple/maple neck if I just take my hand away from it.

This even goes for my roasted maple neck which appears to have been VERY prone to season changes even more than my regular maples... At least when leaving it in rehearsal, I have noticed it is more affected by changes than my buddies rehearsal guitar with 3-piece maple neck :icon_scratch:

(bear in mind this is my experience the last few years, I have not made any scientific approach to it)

Why it should be possible to become a custom option:
1. Geckos are always made with 5-piece construction, so they know how to do it.
2. Other bass necks have graphite rods, which would be a sweet option for guitar necks too!
3. I've seen 3-piece guitar necks in the showcase at least a few times.

I would happily upcharge $50 or something if I can get something that is more stable than a regular neck.

Another parts manufacturer offers graphite rods in their guitar necks, also Fender licensed replacements.

My Warmoth necks are the rock of Gibralter. But, they all have the dual-acting truss rod in them, so no real surprise there. Single-acting rods are a little less reliable. As for tuning, temperature will definitely change that, often by several cents and from something as simple as handling them, particularly if the room is a bit chilly. Can't get away from that, no matter how the neck is constructed, as it's the strings expanding/contracting with the temperature and changing tension as a result. Usually the necks themselves are more sensitive to humidity than temperature, and changes take place pretty slowly, like over days or weeks, not during the course of tuning up.

Ok that might explain the sudden changes when I remove my hand.

So lets ignore that... I often only record on my main guitar and haven't really tried the others and they might be similar

HOWEVER.

Overnight, the 3-piece necks holds up better than the 1-piece ones

I might do a test of this some day.

Tuning all guitars to pitch, leaving, and then look at tuner next day.

This should be a more fair test, rather than my experience the last few years. That can be faulty of course.

Back