Guitar Magazines

m4rk0

Epic Member
I have been subscribed to Guitar world and Guitar Player and want to try something else.
any recommendations? i like lots of (new) gear reviews, especially side by side reviews of similar products.
I do like interviews, but not so interested in meaningless random interviews with Slipknot or greenday..
I don't really care about hundreds of TABs either.. if I really can't figure out something, I will find the tab in the internets

Guitarist magazine - UK publication  http://www.guitarist.co.uk/

Best guitar mag by a mile!

Markoooooo said:
I have been subscribed to Guitar world and Guitar Player and want to try something else.
any recommendations? i like lots of (new) gear reviews, especially side by side reviews of similar products.
I do like interviews, but not so interested in meaningless random interviews with Slipknot or greenday..
I don't really care about hundreds of TABs either.. if I really can't figure out something, I will find the tab in the internets

The absolute best gear mag in my opinion is Premier Guitar.  I usually check their site for reviews before I buy something.  They are also really good about getting back to you if you email them.

The UK family of Guitar Techniques and Guitarist are all over $100 a year here in America - I'd buy six music books first.... I still read Guitar Player out of loyalty I guess, the editor writes like a child, they're shilling everything with a shrill fervor, and it's kind of sad reading articles from great guitarists like Jesse Gress and Jude Gold when they're forced to pretend that KISS and AC/DC are adult bands. I dropped Guitar World because of their hallucinogenic guitar "reviews", really no more oinkish or pimpy than Guitar Player except in degree. I also like Premier Guitar and Vintage Guitar, mostly because they interview real, working, non-star musicians sometimes who don't have 300 guitars and can't afford to buy every ridiculous new little $5,000 trinket. But Vintage Guitar is huge, I can't read it in bed. :sad1:

I still find great new players and bands like Oz Noy and OHM from reading these things, and I cruise the lessons, though it's gotten awfully repetitive after 37 years (creak creak grumble, thud). Because of the market the magazines must, of necessity, give equal or greater weight to insipid recyclers like John Mayer, Nickleback and the Black Crowes than to anything I want to spend time listening to.

Celebrate Conformity! Play blues-rock guitar! :help:

wee-wee-wee-wee-WEE-wee-wee.... :rock-on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgrACYkXFqY

I occasionally buy Guitar Player at the newsstand if it catches my eye or someone I like is on the cover.  In general I'm not big on magazines... you pay $4 for 100 pages of ads and 20 pages of content

Tonar8353 said:
Tone Quest Report and Vintage Guitar.

+1, and also premier guitar.  Actually, I started reading premier guitar because someone on this board recommended it. 

I think it was Hannaugh.

BTW - Hey Hannaugh!  How's married life?

jimh said:
Guitarist magazine - UK publication  http://www.guitarist.co.uk/

+1

Although whenever I go to buy it I keep finding that all my local newsagents have tends to be Total Guitar. I really ought to subscribe but I only tend to read guitar mags when they have articles that interest me.

I also recently stopped reading Guitar World. I got tired of reading the same articles every month: Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Jimi Hendrix, and Dimebag Darrell. I never realized that there were only five people in the world who played guitar... :icon_scratch:

jimh said:
Guitarist magazine - UK publication  http://www.guitarist.co.uk/

+1

I found one here in the States.  Can't find it anymore.  Their gear reviews were great, and not just paid advertisements.  If a Yank, you wouldn't even know it's a Brit Mag, other than the color/colour and favorite/favourite things.  The pounds listed on prices will need a trip to the interweb for conversion.

Guitar Techniques has to be the best IMO. It seems like Americans don't want to share us much as the Europeans do.

GT also has very accurate backing tracks and some really awesome musicians on staff.

mayfly said:
Tonar8353 said:
Tone Quest Report and Vintage Guitar.

+1, and also premier guitar.  Actually, I started reading premier guitar because someone on this board recommended it. 

I think it was Hannaugh.

BTW - Hey Hannaugh!  How's married life?
]

A big part of why I'm not on the forum as much is that married life is excellent!  Thanks for asking.  My husband and I are working on an interesting project, which I will post photos of when we are done.  It's not guitar related, but it's really cool and super nerdy.  After that we are going to build something music related for me.  The one we're working on now is mostly for him, so the next one will be for me.  So I'm sure I'll be around a lot more often for advice when that happens. 

Thanks for all the replies so far.. I think I will get premier guitar.. liked their website!

I remember getting the guitarist mag back in NL and IE all the time. I quite liked that, but I have never seen it for sale here.. and I don't want a $100 subscription :)

Back