Guitar Equivalents for Back Countours

jkrake

The only complaint i have with the warmoth part purchasing process is selecting the right back contour for the neck.  the neck is a very personal part of the guitar, and when i recieved my neck and found it to be too thin to my liking, i was slightly dissapointed.  I think warmoth should provide (not withstanding the SRV, Clapton, and Wolfgang) the guitar equivalent to the neck contours so that i can try them out at guitar center a little bit before spending a couple 100 on a neck.  Also if anyone could give me some equivalents to the Fat and Boat contours that would be wonderful.  I'm buying a new neck for my warmoth strat, and i find the standard thin to be a little too small for my hands, feels thinner than normal strat necks actually...i think i may have gotten the wizard by accident...anyway.  I rather like the Eric Johnson strat neck, however i find the Clapton V to be a little sharp, atleast on the ones i've tried out at the store, i just find it a tad difficult to do arpeggios on it, it could be i just need to get used to it.  i've considered the '59 roundback, in addition to the Fat neck, i'm a tad concerned the fat neck will but a little too thick, i mean my hands are pretty big, about 8" from wrist to tip of the middle finger. but as i said before i really need to hold the neck in my hands to figure out what i want on my guitar.

anyway feedback woud be wonderful, and see all you guys out there in guitar land.

god bless,

John

P.S.  In future warmoth endeavors, the eric johnson neck may be a cool option.

Welcome aboard!

If you have a good look through the neck section of the W site you will find a fair bit of information. They give you some depth measurements and provide cross section comparisons of the various profiles. It's not perfect but it is lots more than most suppliers provide. I would follow Warmoths advice and go play a few guitars and find a neck you like and measure it, then compare it with the info on W's site. It probably wouldn't be exactly the same but probably close enough so as not to matter.
I have 3 Warmoth guitars with standard thin necks that I regularly play alongside my '89 Fender strat. It's close but not exact. I've recently got a boatneck which I haven't found anything to compare against yet. I love it but I can't tell you why. It's a really tough question. This probably doesn't help much but I'm sure the guys here will chip in with a few pointers.

I agree with the original poster that more info wrt comparison to products in stores would help. I'd like to see more info on fret size selection, too. Some manufacturers provide dimensions on their web sites (I know PRS does), so you can print those out and go to GC. I posted something similar months ago, and found out (thanks CB) that the W '59 roundback has almost the exact same dimensions as the PRS 'wide fat' on the McCarty and other models. My W Clapton contour is definitely softer than the G&L V necks I played, and I'm happy about that. Feels odd sometimes in 'full shred' position but I'm more of a thumb-over type anyhow.

Hey John,

I asked almost the same question a couple of days ago:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1612.0

Maybe this will help you a little bit:

dear willyk,

you say you like the boat neck, i've done some measurements and 1" looks pretty good, how does it perform when you do apreggios, i'm audition for berklee college of music on february 2nd, and they require me to play my arpeggios very proficiently, i ran into some problems with the clapton neck, but the again the V was fairly sharp

I agree with the OP as well, I like the standard thin, but I have a few guitars that are not warmoth, with fatter necks and I like those, i'd like to know what Warmoth neck I could order that would be similar, WITHOUT USING THE CALIPERS,

jkrake said:
dear willyk,

you say you like the boat neck, i've done some measurements and 1" looks pretty good, how does it perform when you do apreggios, i'm audition for berklee college of music on february 2nd, and they require me to play my arpeggios very proficiently, i ran into some problems with the clapton neck, but the again the V was fairly sharp

I would hate to think my limited proficiency would lead you down the wrong path but if the V on the Clapton neck is the problem then I think you would find the boat would be better. The V is nowhere near as pronounced. Remember, it is only my personal opinion. Best wishes for Feb2 :icon_thumright:

Personal opinion: The SRV is the best shape for adding a bit of girth to the standard thin without a shocking change of shape as well (i.e. OH MY GOD, V SHAPE). It just feels comfortable, and little thicker.

Am I the only one who likes the clapton contour? It's pretty much the same as the Clapton and the Buddy Guy signature strat, I think. I guess it really depends a lot on your hand position.

Nathan A, that's exactly what I wanna hear, I like the thin, but would like to step up in small increments to see what feels best.

Thanks

I ordered the Wizard profile and wish that it was thinner than it is.  Am I the only one who likes wafer thin necks?

My '59 is pretty thick neck. Not only is it thick its quite wide too. I like it because playing it is a challenge in itself!

It definately feels fuller in my hand than my former 50's Gibson Faded LP. Although I do believe that was a minutely slimmer (in terms of fretboard width).

I'm ordering a standard thin for my Strat see what that's like.

I would love it if Warmoth would send a team of guys with different necks to the London Guitar show so one could try the different necks. I think that would generate a LOT of interest.

Baseball bats to toothpicks Ted? You're a thrill seeker for sure. :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor: :hello2:

Alfang said:
Nathan A, that's exactly what I wanna hear, I like the thin, but would like to step up in small increments to see what feels best.

Thanks

If that's your goal, then I do think the SRV is your best bet. I've got the wolfgang too, which I like a lot, but you can really feel the asymmetry. I don't think everybody would tend to like it.

Does anyone know if the standard thin is equivilent to the Gibson Les Paul "slim-taper neck?"

I hope so, cause I'm building a guitar for an Xmas present for my brother, and that's his favorite neck profile. :sad:

For an idea on the standard thin, go pick up your run of the mill Fender USA Strat and check it out.  Skip the artist or vintage replicas.  Just your average neck.  See how that compares to your brothers guitar.

i don't know of any equivlent necks but i have a fat back with a 1-3/4 nut width. even with big hands it takes some getting used to. the boat back is just as thick but a vee. i'm sure i'd hate it.
the fat back creates a preasure point on my hand. i don't notice when i play but when i'm finnished it is slightly painful. i think a 59 would be perfect.
i haven't played a clapton neck yet, i know it is softer than a standard vee but no vee neck i've played feels natural in my hand.
EB MM Axis guitars have some great necks but with the narrow nut it feels small in my hands.

snowblind56 said:
I ordered the Wizard profile and wish that it was thinner than it is.  Am I the only one who likes wafer thin necks?

I hear ya. I recently bought an Ibanez RG7 because I prefer the thin/flat neck on a 7 string guitar (wider fretboard and all). I have to admit though, the older/longer I've been playing I'm starting to see the virtue of a fatter neck profile. Seems easier on the wrist, for me at least. My favorite is the neck is an EBMM Axis... I wonder if the 'Wolfgang' contour @ warmoth is similar?

Does anyone know what Warmoth profile is closest to a Fender 1970 - C shape, found on the Telecasters from the late 60s to mid-70s? I have a Warmoth Standard-Thin and that's quite a bit smaller profile than my '70 Tele. It might be the '59 Roundback, but I'm not sure.

Back