Guitar Equivalents for Back Countours

Chris...I believe the Warmoth Standard Thin is pretty close to the Gibson Slim Taper. I have one, and it's nice, but not like any Fender profile I've ever played or owned. It feels more to me, like my Les Paul neck.

I too, recevied my standard-thin Warmoth neck, only to find that the profile is way-too thin for my taste, and unlike any Fender neck I've ever played. I think this profile is unique to Warmoth. Some people say its close to the Fender American Series guitars, but it seems thinner, to me.

After some research, I "think" the '59 Roundback is closest to the dimenions of my '70 Tele - which is a "C" profile. I also think the Boats and Fatbacks are similar to the '50s NoCasters and the bigger baseball-bat profiles that were intermittently used on some of the early Fender guitars, and on some of the '70s Strats. I would like to see Warmoth publish a chart that shows how their neck profiles correspond to some of the common Fender profiles we're all familiar with - which Fender has been pretty consistent with in their reissues. For example, all the '60s & '70s reissue Teles have necks VERY close to my old vintage guitars.

This neck contour thing is actually kind of frustrating. I just went down to GC to play some different fender necks - I played an EC, EJ, & SRV signature and a relic'd 50's (58?) reissue that was great despite looking like crap (also, $4000). Salesdudes were actually very accommodating despite knowing nothing about any of them. Unfortunately Fender doesn't put any dimensions of their necks up on the web that I could find. They all had thicker necks than the standard Am Fender or the W standard thin. The Clapton and EJ necks were the same, I think and similar to the W clapton. I liked the 50's reissue and the SRV the best.

Question for Warmoth or anybody who really knows the answer: is the W SRV neck the same as the Fender SRV signature model? And, what commercial guitars have the same profile as the fat and boat necks? For instance, would the Fender 50's reissue be more like boat or fat?

I took a safe bet, and choose the boat neck, only to find out it was just perfect for me. it makes me play betterp; I have to focus more, and my fingers dont take stuff for granted. I have now tried the fat back. if it doesnt suite my needs, I can shave it to a boat.

The boat or fatback, and well... all warmoth-profiles, are unique to warmoth it seems. I tried several guitars, and for the fatback, only several gibson '58 reissues come close, but most necks are too thin.

I've got a Clapton on my hollow body Strat which has quite a pronounced 'V' to it - the pointy buit at the back is noticeable, but I've never foud it uncomfortable. With the Tele, I went with a boatneck, hoping it would be something like the 50's soft 'V' on the MIM 'Classic Players' Baja ( a neck I absolutely love), but it is a much bigger chunk of wood than I'd anticipated it being. It's not unworkable for me, but you do need to take a little time to warm up to it and it does make you work harder at it - like anyone ever needed to work any harder on a Tele. As I'm now thinking of putting together another Strat (have to use up those Crazy 8's somehow  :icon_biggrin:), it sounds like the the SRV might be worth a shot and perhaps a better bet than the Wolfgang I was considering.

After some research, it "seems" that the '59 Roundback profile is closest to what Fender shipped in the early 60s and into the early 70s, at least for Telecaster. Although not many come-up in the Showcase, this is at least dimensinally pretty close.
I have a Standard-Thin and it's a bit too small for my taste. I'll bet the Clapton is close to a Fender vintage profile also, but with the V (which I kinda like, also).

when I received my Strat build, I thought Oh Sht, this neck is too thin, but now I can't imagine playing any other dimension neck.
But I agree, it's a very hands on thing.
It would be nice to even buy a cheap wood,(or plastic for that matter),  representation of a 5" section of neck in the dimensions you want to try out. It, would be worth it to me. 

I wish there was a site somewhere that had detailed information on neck profiles...I've never been able to understand what a C shape really is or cross reference a lot of Warmoth profiles...

Back