Guitar Cases/Bag

I gotta agree with Stubby.  Hardshell for me all the way.  I've seen necks and tuners snapped from the false the security a gig bag gives.  The fact that most gig bags have shoulder straps and cases might mean convenience, but does nothing for protection.  It's like cupholders being used to sell cars.  When it comes right down to it a gig bag is a snuggie for an instrument, IMO.

Well, obviously hardcases offer better protection.  But really, a $100-$200 case for a cheap instrument is ridiculous and not neccessary.  Gig bags have their place in the world. 

I like the idea of those Calton custom cases. If I had a nice Martin, Taylor, or Gibson I'd probably look into something like that. But, this one thing on their page kind of disturbs me, and it really has nothing to do with the company....

PLEASE NOTE: If you live in the USA, please note that US Customs and Homeland Security requires us to request the SSN of the individual or the EIN of the business we will be shipping to. We acknowledge that this is sometimes a surprise for our US clients. Visit www.cbp.gov for more information.

WTF does a guitar case company need your social security number for? It's a guitar case for God's sake. Is America getting that bad these days? Good God!
MULLY

mullyman said:
I like the idea of those Calton custom cases. If I had a nice Martin, Taylor, or Gibson I'd probably look into something like that. But, this one thing on their page kind of disturbs me, and it really has nothing to do with the company....

PLEASE NOTE: If you live in the USA, please note that US Customs and Homeland Security requires us to request the SSN of the individual or the EIN of the business we will be shipping to. We acknowledge that this is sometimes a surprise for our US clients. Visit www.cbp.gov for more information.

WTF does a guitar case company need your social security number for? It's a guitar case for God's sake. Is America getting that bad these days? Good God!
MULLY

It's for NAFTA.  The US requires it to ensure that the receiver is a US citizen and therefore does not have to pay duty. 
It's for any merchandise that's made either in Canada or in Mexico that is shipped to the US. 

Big Brother is out there, but the US Big Brother is the biggest of them all  :doh:

hannaugh said:
Well, obviously hardcases offer better protection.  But really, a $100-$200 case for a cheap instrument is ridiculous and not neccessary.  Gig bags have their place in the world. 

Cases can be costly, especially for a cheap instrument.  My first bass was not quite $200, so another $100+ for a case was not a justifiable expense.  A $25 gun case was.

Back