Guitar building is a mental health disorder...

Which type are you?

• ADHD

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • OCD

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Stalker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hoarder

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Addict

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Collector

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • ODD

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Mania

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • AN

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Saint

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

mgaut051

But under which category of the DSM IV would it fit?

***This is a joke, and is not meant to offend anyone. I am not suggesting anyone has any mental health disorders, or that the mental health disorders are funny or can be reduced to such a crude definition. This is not meant to be an official reference tool for medical students. ***

Of particular note, most people will suffer from more than one building style.
In the order I suspect most people will admit to their disease:

1. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
One liner: "Look! Something shiny! (drops whatever the previous project was)"
This builder has 10-300 projects in mind. New projects come to life after seeing one picture or a single sale item. Many projects on the go, very few are finished. Has files with complete part lists for many builds.
Typical guitar: unfinished.

2. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
One liner: "The string spread at the bridge is 2.132". - I was really looking for 2.135..."
This builder requires perfection at every step of the process. She/he will wait for the right part in the showcase for years. Pots must come from a specific manufacturer, and pickups must have a specific DC resistance. Builds take an incredibly long time.
Typical guitar: Perfect. Often a Strat.

3. Stalker
Subtype of OCD. Will stake out a body in the showcase, and wait, and pounce at the first suggestion that someone else is looking at this part.

4. Hoarder
Subtype of OCD. Will make a guitar or hardware out of anything. Includes cigar box guitars, palletcasters, barncasters and people who make their own hardware out of door handles. 

5. Addict
One liner: "Ooooh, that was good. What's next?"
This builder will sell gear / collection items / body organs to fuel his / her building needs. Will often have the munchies after a good build. Excludes people who expirement once and never relapse.
Typical guitar: Doesn't matter, as long as there is one being built. Will often have 1 of each style (strat, tele, LP, SG...)

6. Collector
Subtype of addict - has 37 LP's.

7. Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
One liner: "I do what I want!"
This builder will actively avoid any resemblance to pre-established styles.
Typical guitar: Ash LP with a maple strat neck and Alumatone pickups.

8. Mania
PURPLE SPARKLE ICEMAN WITH PEARLOID BINDINGS AND ALL-PADOUK NECK!

9. Anorexia Nervosa (AN)
One liner: Less is more.
This builder will accomplish miracles with 100$.
Typical guitar: Esquire with handmade pickup, chopped T bridge and one knob.

10. Saint
People like Tonar, who can do miracles.

ADHD - but that's a reflection of my life in general. Why should it be any different with guitars?

Addict without a doubt. Every new build is the "this will be my last for a while..." build.

It never is.

Updown can't answer because he's on the phone with the big W about his next order.

I have been diagnosed with several of those conditions. We are currently working on a treatment plan. My trazodone, depakote, clonidine, citalopram coctail isn't working anymore. I need an rtc. Community placement isn't working out either.

swarfrat said:
Updown can't answer because he's on the phone with the big W about his next order.
Ha Ha Ha  :laughing7:

Nope you are completely wrong this time !! ..... nothing on order or planned.
Done enough for this year ..........
Got a couple here to finish 1st, plus been setting up / re-doing home studio, spending $$$ on that.
Doesn't stop me looking or dreaming for something else thou .....  :icon_biggrin:

Me  .......  :icon_scratch: ........  :dontknow:  probably addict ...

BUT .... my builds were built ONLY because I wanted to, and that I could ...... simple as that !!    :icon_thumright:

ODD would be my closest. I don't identify with any of the aforementioned list really.  I'll be a two-guitar guy for the next few years at least.

AutoBat said:
ODD would be my closest. I don't identify with any of the aforementioned list really.  I'll be a two-guitar guy for the next few years at least.

Then you, sir, are free of building illness.

Back