Group Design: Warmoth John 5 Telecaster

mayfly

Epic Member
SrDeMaFp said:
JamesL said:
MicahC said:
Maybe we should design a warmoth version of the John 5 as a group project.  That would be killer!!

I'd go fer it.

Ditto

Fuggin' A.

OK!  Four people are enough to start a new topic!

So, the discussion at hand is a warmoth John 5 Telecaster.  I want all your thoughts as to what such a beast would look, play, and be like.
To start things off, here's my thoughts:

Basics

First off, it's a telecaster.  Second, it's black.  Very Very Black.  Third, it's a shred machine. Other details include: double bound in white, chrome pickguard, black headstock.

Some Variations

I know of three versions of the J5T offered by Fender:
  • The classic version has three humbuckers and a CBS strat style headstock painted black.  The neck is maple with an ebony board.
  • Another version has a humbucker in the neck position, a tele-style pickup at the bridge, and a tele style headstock
  • The third version has two humbuckers, and a weird-ass headstock that looks like a 12 string headstock with only 6 of the pegs used.  Or something.

My Thoughts

If I were to build one of these, I'd use an ash body in gloss black, double bound in white with two humbuckers with chrome covers.  Then I'd use a maple warmoth "pro" neck with a CBS headstock painted to match the body. Hardware would be all chrome.  Frets would be big.

And because I'm a country boy I'd put a bender in it  :icon_biggrin:

ok - open it up.  What do you think a J5T should be?

John-5-Tele-lg.jpg

Is this it?

rhythm said:
Tele Shreder  :icon_scratch:

Very much so. Check out some of John 5's solo stuff. Dude's got chops. :guitarplayer2:

Anyway, I'd keep the version that has three humbuckers, have the biggest frets possible, do the double bound white with a gloss black body, get the "wizard" back contour, I'd slap some SD Blackouts in there in all positions (is that even possible with actives?  :icon_scratch:), and all this in a mahogany body.  :eek:ccasion14:

ZGOZZ said:
John-5-Tele-lg.jpg

Is this it?
I like that, but loose the tele bridge, loose the single coil. Loose the pick guard, go with a single hum, strat bridge, or floyd. And add an ebony fretboard with no inlays except a number 5 at the 12th fret...And keep the headstock, Ilike that...

Yea, that's one of the versions.

I never noticed before, but I like the gibson style pickup selector.  If there is one thing I don't like about my Teles, it's the pickup selector - too close to the volume control to manipulate with a quick swipe.

I'm a bit young to be a "fan" of the Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan, but that doesn't hold me back! :toothy12:

MicahC said:
rhythm said:
Tele Shreder  :icon_scratch:

Very much so. Check out some of John 5's solo stuff. Dude's got chops. :guitarplayer2:

Anyway, I'd keep the version that has three humbuckers, have the biggest frets possible, do the double bound white with a gloss black body, get the "wizard" back contour, I'd slap some SD Blackouts in there in all positions (is that even possible with actives?  :icon_scratch:), and all this in a mahogany body.  :eek:ccasion14:

Ive never even heard of him. I am guessing that the music wont be my kind of thing so I will just take your word for it. I just never pictured a tele being used for shreding really. You learn something every day. :rock-on:

I vote for a double hum with a Floyd.  That would be, by definition, a tele shredder.  Oh, that is what Doug is building.  :toothy12:

John 5 will be breaking down your door any day now.  :icon_biggrin:

DocNrock said:
I vote for a double hum with a Floyd.  That would be, by definition, a tele shredder.  Oh, that is what Doug is building.   :toothy12:

John 5 will be breaking down your door any day now.   :icon_biggrin:
I'd let him in to shred on my telly's..... :laughing7:

Can I come on board ?

"THE TELE - CRUSHER"

Blk/Chrome Theme

Triple plated Chrome  P/G 5 hole  with laser engraved skull and cross bones  (tastefully done) and w/o control plate "cut -out "

24 fret Jet Black Ebony Scalloped / Reverse headstock neck with chrome silver decal on headstock from that custom guy ? , and numbers for side-dots
Larger Shiny Metal fret markers Custom made and installed

Sizzling :evil4:Red HOT  3 hums ala Peter Frampton LP / Chrome ringmounts

Rear route /Dual Knurled Concentrics

and a diaper for when you pee yer pants  :laughing3:

please excuse me, as I have to go sharpen my fangs now .  :evil4:

I think I just may have a 3rd build in the wings . hmmmmmmmmm :icon_scratch:

I did a mock up on that Kisekai program but I don't know how to load it onto here..  :icon_scratch: .maybe submit it to the flikr pool - but that is for only genuine guitars right?

Anyways,
These are the specs as I recall them.
BODY
Alder, black solid colour.Routed like a 70s Tele Deluxe.
Double white binding on body (front and back).

NECK
Maple, ebony fretboard.
Block white inlays, if possible have white binding on the fretboard too.
Solid black coloured headstock.
Headstock  -reverse strat (pre CBS)
FR nut.
Black Tuners (what ever is best for FR systems)

PICKUPS
2 Fender 'big' humbuckers with chrome cover - neck and mid position.
1 Hot open coiled black humbucker (Program had a Dimarzio Invader but whatever is the better) for bridge.

BRIDGE
Black Floyd Rose

PICKGUARD
Tele Deluxe 70s style. Black with white edging.

SWITCH
5 way Strat switch in upper bout of pickguard - at an angle.

CONTROLS
3 dual concentric pots at lower rear section of pickguard (vol/tone each) Black, of course.

OUTPUT JACK
Black, on body edge below controls.

I believe that there is - or was - a John 5 Tele with 3 of those older Fender humbuckers, that's why I've used them in this mock up.

EDIT: Here's a photo of the Fender John 5 I was thinking of.
0130050306_xl.jpg

Excellent ideas folks.  Keep em coming.

I really like the idea of using an inlaid '5' at the fifth fret instead of a dot/block.

Yea, it probably needs a white bound neck for it to look complete.

I vote for the deluxe version!

actually, you should combine the john 5 with Jack's Deluxe! that would be ass kicking!

bgtele2.jpg

Ozziepete,

"I did a mock up on that Kisekai program "

can you hook me up ? . . . on my "TELE- CRUSHER"?

Thanks ,

Kreig

Back