Group Design: Warmoth John 5 Telecaster

mayfly said:
cbshardtailj5fc8.png

Crap!  I like this one even better!
Na, go with the Tele headstock. Looks way better that way. Plus I see you liked my idea of the blank fretboard with the Number 5.... :icon_thumright:

kreig said:
try again ozziepete , hello max

EUREKA, I've got it!!!!  :sign13:  (see post above ^^^^)  :icon_thumright: :hello2:

This one has a Swamp Ash body with some transparency on the paint work (not that you could tell from this pic, but anyways...) and neck binding.

Thanx to everyone for the lesson in hosting an image and uploading. Much needed. :glasses9:

Btw, working with this mockup for a while, it has kinda grown on me, even though I don't like shred or metal.....now if I had the money, that baby would have developed considerable GAS by now.

OzziePete said:
Alrighty then.....I'll try this:

warmothgrpjohn5ow2.png

Will you marry me ?  I thought I was the only crazy-*** over here ! Are you a lefty per chance ?
You just EXPLODED with this idea ! Don't like it ,but you just "BURSTED"with this concept ! 5 thumbs up !

kreig said:
Will you marry me ?  I thought I was the only crazy-*** over here ! Are you a lefty per chance ?
You just EXPLODED with this idea ! Don't like it ,but you just "BURSTED"with this concept ! 5 thumbs up !

:laughing8: Marry you, no. Crazy, yes. Lefty, no - but willyk is,  poor fellow.

I'm more an ideas man than a practical one - I have about 3 or 4 guitars floating around my head at the moment, thankfully I have a mortgage that keeps me poor and feet firmly on the ground. :sad: I also have had one guitar project stalled for about 5 years now, due to a lethal combination of limited funds and trying to do too much in one guitar. One of these days it will be finished, but it has been good for me to hit problems and then work out a way around them.

Thanx for the complements.

I read somewhere that the Fender Wide Range humbuckers are just standard HBs with a bit of decoration. Maybe some of the nickel p90s (not HB sized) would look nice.

BBTN.jpg

Max said:
I read somewhere that the Fender Wide Range humbuckers are just standard HBs with a bit of decoration. Maybe some of the nickel p90s (not HB sized) would look nice.

Yeah, you are right on that Max. I think it was CB who answered a query I had about the latest Fender pickups. I think he said that they were basically full length bobbins under the covers, but the 3 + 3 configuration was used to make it look like the old ones. Made by DiMarzio???

The originals, I believe, were just chrome covered Electric XII pickups. They were split design, wired like the P-Bass to cancel the hum. When Fender re designed the Tele and came out with the Deluxe, it was at the time of a resurgence for the humbuckers (mid 70s). So covering up the split design in a chrome cover and calling them hum cancelling (which they are) made sense. 

The latest Fenders are quite more powerful than the originals, and in the blurb about the John 5 Fender model they mention an 'Enforcer' pickup, which is probably an even hotter version of the same design.

This is what I'm led to believe, if others can correct any inaccuracies I'd be most happy to be corrected.

This whole thread is about doing a Warmoth in the style of John 5 - and one of the first things I noticed about his signature guitars was the 3 pickup Tele and those Fender chrome 3 + 3 pickups. Doing a P90 style pickup doesn't seem to fit the bill, and I varied a bit by imcluding a shredding bridge pickup, purely to make it a non replica guitar.

I think solid mahogany ebony board
CBS headstock
Three humbuckers
and it has to have a floyd.

JamesL said:
I think solid mahogany ebony board
CBS headstock
Three humbuckers
and it has to have a floyd.

I say mahogany body with a quartersawn maple neck and jet black ebony fingerboard.  I like the "5" at the 5th fret, or perhaps the 12th, just to let one know it is not a position marker.  Consider a flame or quilt top finished in black dye, rear routed.  Reversed tele headstock.  Definitely a Floyd.  Double humbuckers, DiMarzio:  Tone Zone bridge and PAF Pro in the neck.  Black hardware, no pickguard.  Les Paul style controls and wiring.

Hmmm, damn good thing I don't need another guitar, because this is really tempting.

Got curious and checked out the Warmoth site.

First stumble: Warmoth do not rout for the FR trem (or most trems it seems) for a Tele Deluxe body. Don't know why - maybe the routs for the Fender big pickups are too deep? Not even sure if they will rout for 3 of those big pickups.

So alternatively, you'd have to either use another trem (the only one that is OK for the Tele Deluxe on the Warmoth page, is the Strat vintage replica - 6 hole trem), or get a std. Tele body and do a lot of routing yourself.

Body double binding possible as is reverse peghead design and neck binding.

BTW, the Tele Deluxe body has a neck pocket - as standard - for the Strat neck. If you insist on a Tele Deluxe body AND a Tele neck pocket it will cost extra.

FWIW....... :tard:

OzziePete said:

First stumble: Warmoth do not rout for the FR trem (or most trems it seems) for a Tele Deluxe body. Don't know why - maybe the routs for the Fender big pickups are too deep? Not even sure if they will rout for 3 of those big pickups.

So alternatively, you'd have to either use another trem (the only one that is OK for the Tele Deluxe on the Warmoth page, is the Strat vintage replica - 6 hole trem), or get a std. Tele body and do a lot of routing yourself.

BTW, the Tele Deluxe body has a neck pocket - as standard - for the Strat neck. If you insist on a Tele Deluxe body AND a Tele neck pocket it will cost extra.

take a warmoth-body, a tele custom, ask for a stratneck with straight heel (or just a normal stratneck with 22 frets), with 3 humbuckers, a deluxe pickguard (no problem aswell), and a floyd rose.

just hussle around the specs and bodies!

Orpheo said:
OzziePete said:

take a warmoth-body, a tele custom, ask for a stratneck with straight heel (or just a normal stratneck with 22 frets), with 3 humbuckers, a deluxe pickguard (no problem aswell), and a floyd rose.

just hussle around the specs and bodies!

Or just make the required routs yourself. 

Mine would have a hard tail with the gibson style PU switch, BUT with no pickguard over the upper bout.  That means that the Deluxe body is out for me and I'd be routing out the PU switch hole myself.

... don't be afraid .. crank that router...

ZGOZZ said:
Black is the color of this project?

Indeed. That's John's thing.

No P90s only buckers or single coils...

since we're on the subject, John 5 was the coolest guitarist I've ever met...

JamesL said:
ZGOZZ said:

From watching some videos, he seems pretty down to earth kinda guy. I showed a video of him to one of my chikin' pickin' buddies, and he was amazed the John 5 was quite the chikin picker himself..He thought he was just a freak like Manson...

kreig said:
Can I come on board ?

"THE TELE - CRUSHER"

Blk/Chrome Theme

Triple plated Chrome  P/G 5 hole  with laser engraved skull and cross bones  (tastefully done) and w/o control plate "cut -out "

24 fret Jet Black Ebony Scalloped / Reverse headstock neck with chrome silver decal on headstock from that custom guy ? , and numbers for side-dots
Larger Shiny Metal fret markers Custom made and installed

Sizzling :evil4:Red HOT  3 hums ala Peter Frampton LP / Chrome ringmounts

Rear route /Dual Knurled Concentrics V/T ,one for each pup

and a diaper for when you pee yer pants  :laughing3:

please excuse me, as I have to go sharpen my fangs now .  :evil4:

my.php

DangerousR6 said:
JamesL said:
ZGOZZ said:

From watching some videos, he seems pretty down to earth kinda guy. I showed a video of him to one of my chikin' pickin' buddies, and he was amazed the John 5 was quite the chikin picker himself..He thought he was just a freak like Manson...

Yeah, if you read up a bit on John 5, you'll see that he's also toured with such acts as K.D. Lang, and he's a big fan of country pickers.  Apparently his solo records are quite the technical library  :eek:ccasion14:

Are you guys able to pull up my John 5 picture? it's not opening for me !? :sad:

Back