Grounding a Tune-O-Matic Bridge

jtroska

I did a search and the best I found was info on grounding a strat bridge.  I'm guessing I just run a bare wire through the stud hole into the control cavity and press the bridge stud down on it?  Looks awkward to solder there.  Is a solder necessary?  I remember swapping the bridge on a Gibson Les Paul and no soldered ground wire held me back.   

It's exactly what you said: run a bare wire through the hole and press the stud in. That's how I do it anyway. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best way...  :laughing7:

That's what Warmoth does; puts a stripped wire inside the insert hole then presses the insert in so that the ground wire is sandwiched between the wood and the outside wall of the insert. Drilling a wiring hole from the control cavity to the middle of the insert hole is a good way access the insert and keep the bare wire in place while pressing the insert in.

Well that is much easier than I thought, I was wondering how you soldering something to the stud then pushed it in. Not sure why I never though of just using stripped wire.

FWIW I prefer to do it on the tailpiece and the bridge. This let's you run a piezo setup or some different saddles but still be grounded.

I solder the wire to a coil from a rollerball pen. The coil will make sure there is contact to the stud no matter what.

pabloman said:
FWIW I prefer to do it on the tailpiece and the bridge. This let's you run a piezo setup or some different saddles but still be grounded.

I must remember this. 

Back