Greg Howe's 24 Fret Strat (Fender?)

GMGM

Greg Howe was on the podcast for "Oscar's Guitar Shop" recently. I didn't catch the show, but I saw the photo on Oscar's FB page. This means W will start making these parts for us too right? :icon_biggrin: :doh:

It appears to have a spaghetti font Fender logo to me. Charvel's Guthrie Govan model also has a great looking option for 24 frets. Beings as they are sister companies, it'd be nice if they both offered models in the US like this.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything particularly unusual about that guitar. If you want a 24 fret neck, Warmoth will fab those up all day long. They'll also modify the bodies to accept those necks by moving the neck pickup to allow for it. So... get out your credit card! <grin>

Cagey said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything particularly unusual about that guitar. If you want a 24 fret neck, Warmoth will fab those up all day long. They'll also modify the bodies to accept those necks by moving the neck pickup to allow for it. So... get out your credit card! <grin>

It appears to have a provocative, controversial "true 24 fret neck", and not a diving board like fretboard extension.

To the OP, I didn't see the FB post or read the blog.  Is this Warmoth stuff?

That picture could go either way. You can get a "true" 24 fret neck one of two ways. 7/8 body, 24.75 scale neck, or baritone neck.

If this is the same guitar, here's another shot.

l_zps63a3ca13.jpg

Still can't tell if it's a real deal "true 24" or overhang.  Something in the first pic about the cutaways seems fishy, as in close but not quite Fender.  The knob layout seems to be more elongated, and the pickguard borders more of the trem, more than just the posts.

I'll give him this, he does not seem to get caught up in brand name snobbery.  He seems to play whatever he wants.  He has one of everything from everybody and plays them all.

That looks like it could be the same guitar. From that angle it appears it still have that cursed blocky heel design though.

The issue for me is indeed having a "true 24 fret" design. Not a mini-guitar or reduced scale. I just want a strat with 24 frets (and improved heel). I don't want to give up the 25.5" scale length, and there's no point in having 24 frets if you can't reach them (or if does nothing to improve access to the 19th - 22nd frets).

I've already gone down the custom builder road, and will probably do so again.

I just posted because it was an interesting guitar. Combined with Govan's Charvel, it seemed to indicate a (very small) trend for the Fender family. Itd be great if those models entered mass production and sold like hotcakes, then W might take this sort of guitar more seriously.

FYI - I'm sorry for some of my "troll" statements above. I really do love Warmoth. I own more than a dozen guitars, and have built (and will continue to build) Warmoth partscasters. My main guitar is W, and has been everywhere with me. And to be completely honest, it's probably better for me financially that they don't offer a better option for 24 frets. But still, with the loss of the Gibson bodies I would think they'd be looking for other niche markets. So, cheers to the vocal minority!

[HIJACK]

Why stop at 24?  :icon_jokercolor:

[/HIJACK]

Attachments

• RG2011SCBK.gif
    RG2011SCBK.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 604
That's funny, because Ibanez make a 30 fret guitar now!!! It looks being ridiculous to me (probably the same way many of look at 24 frets as being ridiculous and excessive). When I see 30 frets, I just have to ask why not 36? That would be 3 octaves, but instead the neck is still "incomplete" to me. I guess that's just OCD for you. lol.

Having 2 octaves per string feels like a "complete" neck to me - no more no less. In addition to notes, having a true 24 neck usually means it's easier to hit the 17th - 20th frets much easier also. I just wish it were standard for a strat, since I'm not a fan of the usual "pointy" metal head guitars you usually need in order have 2 extra frets. 

I have played a 27 fret Caparison guitar. I have a (korean) Hamer Califonian:

Hamer_Californian_092.jpg

Anything beyond fret 24 - in standard tuning - is really more of a percussion deal.

BUT ... a lot of modern metal players down tune like crazy. And to some extent that makes more frets more meaningful.

On a "true" (no diving board) 24 fret neck, is the heel kept approximately the same size and just relocated an inch or so down, or is the heel elongated to fit an elongated neck pocket?

Usually, the neck joint is relocated and inch or so closer towards the bridge. Greg's guitar appears to join the body at the 19th fret (instead of the 17th fret).

So you can either move the neck joint closer to the bridge (or move the bridge closer to the neck joint). Or you can extend the cutaway.

Extending the cutaway can look weird on a strat though, so if you want to maintain a familiar appearance you'd have to reduce the body size all around. My customer guitar above has a 90% size body compared to a regualr strat. This is similar to Warmoth's 7/8 scale models, but without having to use a shorter 24.75" scale neck.

But also, I was researching this today, and found an interview online at PremierGuitar.com. The interview was from 2007, and Greg is pictured standing next to the same guitar back then. Unfortunately this confirms that we're not looking at a prototype and it probably is a heavily modded HM.

Back