Graphtech ratio tuners ??

Sadie-f

Senior member
Messages
427
Question, has anyone used them? If so, did you feel they're worth the expense?

For reference, I'm happy with the Grover tuning machines installed in my Martin and W-strat, don't like the crap machines installed on a (not inexpensive) stock Strat, and hated the sticky ones on an older Ovation I used to have)

I think for my soloist build, if I don't go with ratio, I can spend the same money on Waverly tuning machines, and get something better made than Grover.

Obviously the e & D strings take a lot of spins to adjust, while E can be a little touchy to dial in, a minor mechanical reality evened out with a smart design idea. ... then it also makes that axe different from all the others.
 

TBurst Std

Senior member
Messages
2,668
So my question is: what would you want to improve on over the Grovers you like?

If not constrained in a build or retrofit, I really like the Hipshot open gear lockers.
 

Sadie-f

Senior member
Messages
427
TBurst Std said:
So my question is: what would you want to improve on over the Grovers you like?

If not constrained in a build or retrofit, I really like the Hipshot open gear lockers.

Having the same knob input to tone change across the 6 strings seems like a nice to have feature (not something I'll live or die over).

For the Waverly, I appreciate that it seems to be the best made choice (e.g. bronze pinion gear instead of brass). They're definitely in the nice to have range.

I could still go with Grover, but the price of the ratio / Waverly isn't huge deal for me.

The Hipshot looks ok, I'm not looking for the locking feature, and I like the more traditional design look of the other designs.
 

Rick

Senior member
Messages
4,544
Check out the hipshot website.  They make open backs that might suit your needs.  Plus they make replacement buttons.  Also some tone ninjas would fit.
 

Sadie-f

Senior member
Messages
427
rick2 said:
Check out the hipshot website.  They make open backs that might suit your needs.  Plus they make replacement buttons.  Also some tone ninjas would fit.

I don't love the Hipshot look, or tone ninja, however I'd forgotten about another option, I'm leaning towards the Gotoh 510 open back design.

On researching farther, I found a lot of negative views of the Waverlys. On the other hand, I have an appointment to look at an acoustic that will be fitted out with Waverlys this week, so that choice will be easier after that.

There are lots of good options, choosing one is a very first world problem. :-(
 

mayfly

Senior member
Messages
8,309
Sadie-f said:
rick2 said:
Check out the hipshot website.  They make open backs that might suit your needs.  Plus they make replacement buttons.  Also some tone ninjas would fit.

I don't love the Hipshot look, or tone ninja, however I'd forgotten about another option, I'm leaning towards the Gotoh 510 open back design.

On researching farther, I found a lot of negative views of the Waverlys. On the other hand, I have an appointment to look at an acoustic that will be fitted out with Waverlys this week, so that choice will be easier after that.

There are lots of good options, choosing one is a very first world problem. :-(

Yup very first world problem :).  The Waverlys are top drawer stuff, proving that you can't count on what you hear on the internet.  I've personally never used the crazy-assed graphtech tuners, but I've had good luck with gotoh, planet waves, schaller, and hipshot.  Go with the flow and you really can't go wrong...
 

AcrylicSuperman

Active member
Messages
64
I love the graphtech ratio. I do tend to change tunings often and having all strings on an equal turn ratio makes that an incredibly simple task. The hold tune exceptionally well. I know some people look at them like they are a solution to a non existent problem, but I don't see them that way. They are a quilty set of tuners. Well worth the money.
 

Sadie-f

Senior member
Messages
427
AcrylicSuperman said:
I love the graphtech ratio. I do tend to change tunings often and having all strings on an equal turn ratio makes that an incredibly simple task. The hold tune exceptionally well. I know some people look at them like they are a solution to a non existent problem, but I don't see them that way. They are a quilty set of tuners. Well worth the money.

Cool, thanks for the response!

I did get hands on a Waverly equipped acoustic a couple weeks ago, gotta say they're well built, feel great.

So my decision now is do I want one guitar that tunes differently than all the others, and somewhat easier, or stay accustomed to micro adjustments on E, big turns on e?

Definitely first world problems :)
 
Top