Gotoh Wilkinson VSVG

Sp4zRX

I know that the VS100 prefers and absolutely should float but what about the VSVG, can I have it mounted against the body where I can't pull up on the bar but only down? I want to use the VSVG, mainly for the pop-in arm feature but I don't want it to float. I want to be able to play in other tunings without worry. If it needs to float as well, then does anyone have any suggestions for a black tremolo with a pop-in arm?

You can have it flush against the body without problems. I have it on two Warmoths and I go from floating to flush-against-the-body and back again depending on my mood.  :icon_thumright:

Sp4zRX said:
... does anyone have any suggestions for a black tremolo with a pop-in arm?

If you can afford it I suggest a Gotoh 510 series 2 post tremolo with your choice of saddles. My favorite tremolos because Gotoh products have quality and the looks are close to the vintage ones without the problems. I have the VG300 (2 post version of the VSVG) in my strat. With locking tuners, a properly cut nut and mild use it works good, the guitar stays in tune. However, if I was making a strat now I would choose a 510.

Kostas said:
Sp4zRX said:
... does anyone have any suggestions for a black tremolo with a pop-in arm?

If you can afford it I suggest a Gotoh 510 series 2 post tremolo with your choice of saddles. My favorite tremolos because Gotoh products have quality and the looks are close to the vintage ones without the problems. I have the VG300 (2 post version of the VSVG) in my strat. With locking tuners, a properly cut nut and mild use it works good, the guitar stays in tune. However, if I was making a strat now I would choose a 510.

I am planning on putting it on a body that I already have which is already drilled for 6-hole vintage. I see that Gotoh does have 6-hole trems in the 510 line though. Do the vintage 510s use pop-in arms? That feature is really important to me simply because without pop-in arm, I find I am too lazy to screw the darn thing in and end up never using it. :-\

All the 510 tremolos have a pop in arm http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?btp_product_category=tremolo-510-series
The six holes can be filled (with hardwood, not toothpicks...) or hidden under the tremolo but two new ones need to be opened.

There are Gotoh 510s for six screw mounting.

The 510 series are very good. I have one but a two post mount on my Warmoth Strat.

I couldn't find a 510 in black.  :dontknow:  So I just went with the VSVG. I have read lots of good stuff about the VSVG and I have the VS100 and love it so I figured I couldn't go wrong with that one.

Sp4zRX said:
I couldn't find a 510 in black.  :dontknow:
Gotoh tremolos & tuners have so many options there is no shop in the world to have every version of every model. When I ordered my tuners I went straight to the source, a Japanese shop. It took ten days for them to get them from Gotoh and six days to arrive here.

Kostas said:
Sp4zRX said:
I couldn't find a 510 in black.  :dontknow:
Gotoh tremolos & tuners have so many options there is no shop in the world to have every version of every model. When I ordered my tuners I went straight to the source, a Japanese shop. It took ten days for them to get them from Gotoh and six days to arrive here.

Good idea! I will have to remember that next time. Thanks for the tip!

Back