Gotoh Side Adjuster

riverbluff

I may be blind and over looked it, but which way do you turn the side adjuster to add relief to the neck?

Here is the easiest way to remember..

Place the short side of the allen wrench into the hole with the long part pointed toward the headstock. If you want the neck to go "up" toward the front of the guitar then pull the allen wrench up (counterclockwise). If you want the neck to go "down" toward the back of the guitar then push the wrench down (clockwise).

The neck should follow the direction of the wrench. Remember, it doesn't take much force to operate the mechanisim.

Hope this helps...

TroubledTreble said:
Here is the easiest way to remember..

Place the short side of the allen wrench into the hole with the long part pointed toward the headstock. If you want the neck to go "up" toward the front of the guitar then pull the allen wrench up (counterclockwise). If you want the neck to go "down" toward the back of the guitar then push the wrench down (clockwise).

The neck should follow the direction of the wrench. Remember, it doesn't take much force to operate the mechanisim.

Hope this helps...

Exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks.

Hello everyone!

I got my Warmoth neck about a month ago, and I’m have a very hard time with the side adjustment. I've looked at the instructions, and I’ve searched on this forum as well, but nothing seems to be working. I feel like a moron, but I can’t straighten the neck when the strings are at tension. I don’t understand it! I follow the instructions, straighten the neck, install the neck, and tune. I can’t seem to take off relief to get the neck straighten under tension.

Any tips???? Please help!!!!!!

Thanks,

TCD

Try reajdusting the heel so the neck has more upbow or backbow before reinstalling it.  Then fine tune with the side adjuster.  Its what you'd have to do if there was no side adjuster, like older Fenders. 

If you try to use the side adjuster under full tension you may break it.

leadpaintdoor said:
thanks. i know that i shouldn't adjust the neck under tesion. i dont have the money to fix it!!  :-\
Mine too.I have the same problem but only worst I think.Because I did follow the instructions "Tighten the slotted heel-adjust nut until the fingerboard is perfectly flat" and I tried to turn it and even that I completely tightened the heel-adjust nut but the fingerboard still has so much relief(back bow) . Actually it take only a little turn to completely tightened the heel-adjust nut and it doesn't make any movement to the fingerboard. I think the neck itself has too much relife that's more than the heel-adjust can deal with.While the heel-adjust didn't do its job I tried to tighten the side-adjust nut,it's functioning but couldn't make the fingerboard flat and even without strings tension though.
I have contacted Warmoth now I'm waiting to see what's the deal.I'm so so upset.Anyone could help me or have anything to concern about this?

jenisara said:
leadpaintdoor said:
thanks. i know that i shouldn't adjust the neck under tesion. i dont have the money to fix it!!  :-\
Mine too.I have the same problem but only worst I think.Because I did follow the instructions "Tighten the slotted heel-adjust nut until the fingerboard is perfectly flat" and I tried to turn it and even that I completely tightened the heel-adjust nut but the fingerboard still has so much relief(back bow) . Actually it take only a little turn to completely tightened the heel-adjust nut and it doesn't make any movement to the fingerboard. I think the neck itself has too much relife that's more than the heel-adjust can deal with.While the heel-adjust didn't do its job I tried to tighten the side-adjust nut,it's functioning but couldn't make the fingerboard flat and even without strings tension though.
I have contacted Warmoth now I'm waiting to see what's the deal.I'm so so upset.Anyone could help me or have anything to concern about this?

Just making sure our terminology is on the same page here; Back bow is no relief - meaning the neck is past straight and bending backwards against the string pull. Relief is forward bow meaning more gap between the string and fingerboard in the center of the fingerboard than there is at each end. At any rate, you are on the right track speaking to Warmoth already.

Back