Gotoh Floyd Rose trem

vegababy

I wonder why Warmoth aren't selling Gotoh Floyd Rose trems ?

They've been getting really good reviews, even by people like Suhr, and I think they did some nice improvements to the original design. Like the way the arm can be tightened and especially the slightly rounded saddles which make for a smoother feel.

Warmoth sells Gotoh stuff already and the Gotoh Floyds are used on tons of guitars out there, EB, Suhr etc. Might be a cool alternative...

I guess more options are always a good thing...but myself, as far as a locking trem, I'd never use anything other than a (Big-Blocked)  OFR... accept no substitutes....;)

jhale667 said:
I guess more options are always a good thing...but myself, as far as a locking trem, I'd never use anything other than a (Big-Blocked)  OFR... accept no substitutes....;)

If the quality would be alright with them I'd have no problem, but I think it's an 'open secret' that OFRs are not really anymore what they used to be. Suhr wrote an 'article' about that sometime ago somewhere where he explained a little what he's got to do on a regular basis to get them to work properly...like they used to. Honestly, at the moment I'd choose Schaller every time over OFRs. Much higher quality control.

Schaller make the Original Floyd Rose...don't they?
Why should there be any difference in quality between Floyd II (The "Schaller" one) and the OFR?

Personally, I really like the OFR...you do need to match the radius to get a good set up though (several threads on this site...)

The only quality issues I've had have been with the locking nut  (chrome plating falling off, general rough appearance)

Funky Phil said:
Schaller make the Original Floyd Rose...don't they?
Why should there be any difference in quality between Floyd II (The "Schaller" one) and the OFR?

There are differences in quality, otherwise Floyd II would have no reason of existence. It's the cheaper substitute of Original Floyd but still bears the Floyd name for those who "fear" to use something else.

The Schaller version is slightly different, and I'm not into them...I know the Ping one is the only one allowed to actually SAY "Floyd Rose" on it, but it also still says "licensed by" under the fine-tuners like most of the knockoffs do....
I recently purchased a new OFR, haven't installed it (but DID take it apart, Big-Block it and reassemble it already) yet, didn't notice any quality issues outright...and this is after doing a side-by-side comparison with a circa-1984 Floyd I have laying around as a spare...I hear if you have one of the versions that says "original" under the Floyd logo, the baseplates are slightly thinner...never owned (or inspected closely) one of those....

The Schaller uses different materials and sounds a bit different. I definitely trust German engineering :) !!!

I have 3 pings and two real ones, all with the original floyd name, no diference as far as I'm concerned ,there are some who say the ping is actually a better sounding trem because of the block or something,

The ping OFR is cheaper, I just looked, the only diference visually is that the pings have a small emblem stamped near the trem arm hole.

It does also say "licensed under floyd rose patents" at the fine tuners, I never noticed that before, it's a lazer print i think

Back