Got Most of My Parts For My First Build! *FINISHED*

I'm finally done!
Body: Warmoth poplar unfinished body.
Neck: Warmoth maple neck w/ rosewood fretboard, medium jumbo frets, 1 11/16" wide at the nut, tusq nut. Clear satin nitro finish.
Fender Schaller Locking Tuners
Pickups: Tv Jones Power'tron ( n ) and Power'tron Plus ( b )
Callaham Bridge
Bigsby B-50

fIJwU3P.jpg

UD8Q2Z8.jpg

cYBY1vS.jpg

dXRCCkY.jpg

A good result.  :eek:ccasion14:

Do you plan to put anything like ferrules or a plate at the back for the string through holes ?

I don't know how I missed your thread before this. Very nice build, and nice job on the taping/staining of the back. Although my personal taste runs more towards the Gretsch Cadillac Green, I've always liked a green top with a  dyed/stained back.

I wasn't sure how I felt about your project when I first looked - I'm more of a flashy, glossy fan - but there was something about it. After studying it for a bit I realized that the clean look of the body provides a fantastic backdrop to let the interesting hardware really jump out. I initially winced at the 'something different' look, but soon realized that the uniqueness is exactly what makes it a real head-turner. It's one of those pieces of art with a quality that causes it to grow on me the more I look at it. Great job...and when will you be entering it for GOM? Not that I'd necessarily sit out that month, but...

That looks mighty nice! Congrats on finishing it up. I'll admit I was sad to see that natural top go, but the painted top looks great.

How does it play / sound?

Gemcutter said:
I wasn't sure how I felt about your project when I first looked - I'm more of a flashy, glossy fan - but there was something about it. After studying it for a bit I realized that the clean look of the body provides a fantastic backdrop to let the interesting hardware really jump out. I initially winced at the 'something different' look, but soon realized that the uniqueness is exactly what makes it a real head-turner. It's one of those pieces of art with a quality that causes it to grow on me the more I look at it. Great job...and when will you be entering it for GOM? Not that I'd necessarily sit out that month, but...

Thanks! A friend of mine once said sometimes all a girl needs is a simple black dress with the correct accessories to go with it :)
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can enter this guitar in GOM because
1. The body I got was unfinished but the neck was finished, even though minimally so (nitro clear coat). I've noticed that the contests alternate between unfinished and finished, so unfortunately my hybrid might not qualify.
2. If I remember one of the rules correctly, the finished guitar shouldn't be posted until the competition? I could be wrong though.
If anyone can provide clarification regarding the above, it would be much appreciated! And thanks to everyone for the encouragement and kind comments. 

I'm not the final arbiter, but I'd say the finished/unfinished determination is applied to the body. Not all necks even have finishes, particularly on this forum.

As for when you can post it, a new thread opens each month for new entries, and it expires when voting starts. The GotM moderator won't accept new entries after that. You typically get 7 days to get in, followed by 7 days to vote.  Be sure to review the rules for format, lest your entry be ignored.

Per question 2. I don't think that is in the rules.

Lots of GOM entries and winners have appeared as completed instruments prior to entry.

stratamania said:
Per question 2. I don't think that is in the rules.

Lots of GOM entries and winners have appeared as completed instruments prior to entry.

Ah, you read it differently than I did. I took it to mean "post for competition in the GOM thread", where you saw "post", period, which in review is what I think he said.

Of course you can post any guitar before or after the contest. Wouldn't be much of a builder's forum otherwise  :icon_biggrin: But, to be clear, a guitar/bass is only considered for GOM if it's posted in the GOM thread for that month during the entry period the GOM moderator defines. In other words, instruments aren't just randomly picked from various threads.

stratamania said:
Do you plan to put anything like ferrules or a plate at the back for the string through holes ?

Looking at the pics on my phone I thought I was seeiing black ferrules. Do my eyes deceive me?

stratamania said:
A good result.  :eek:ccasion14:

I purposely let the stain sink into the holes so it would darken the insides more. I kind of like the way the holes look right now without the ferules.
Also, given that I would need to force the ferules in, I don't want to risk the finish for something that isn't required since the strings are anchored to the Bigsby tailpiece.

Ok, so stained dark, I was just curious more than anything is something was in there or planned. If they were in there they would not be doing anything as you say due to the Bigsby.

A Tele with a Bigsby is a real classic. Nice work, it looks damn good.  :icon_thumright:

Back