Goosebumps: new guitar heroes meet the archetype guitar hero

alexreinhold

Being born in the late 80s, my biggest guitar influences were all big before I was even born. I was always sad that I never saw the rise of a contemporary guitar hero of mine first hand. Then, in the last few years, there were suddenly people who master the instrument to the core and dared to do things differently - in my opinion, the most significant ones being Cory Wong (Vulfpeck) and Tim Henson (Polyphia).

Yesterday, Polyphia released a song with Steve Vai - the archetype guitar hero and one of my biggest influences. Albeit a very technical song, I just can't stop watching how one of my biggest inspirations from the past meets one of the (if not the) most inspiring and creative minds of contemporary guitar music.

Nice stuff. At the end you can totally hear how it could just as easily have been a banger in a more swinging, funky Cory Wong groove instead of the highly disciplined technical inferno that it is. Beautiful playing and melodic concepts flying around there. Thanks for sharing.

Back