Ginger Baker - the one who didn't die

stubhead

Master Member
He, Keith Moon & Bonzo were pretty much competitors for the Crazy Guy Crown for a while there. New flick: http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/beware-of-mr-baker-trailer-for-ginger-baker-documentary-20120301

There sure are a lot of rock movies lately. Are we old?

StubHead said:
There sure are a lot of rock movies lately. Are we old?

I don't think it's the fact that you're getting old, but of the fact that fans are getting young again. There isn't a lot of stuff out there to be proud of. Not all of it is crap, but it's kind of a pre-CBS sort of thing:  "the modern stuff isn't bad, but the old stuff is just better."  I'm kind of proud to say that, at 29, I didn't buy my Aerosmith albums because Steven Tyler is a judge on 'American Idol,'  but, it helps introduce a number of youngsters to Aerosmith, which was really my starting point into rock and roll. One other thing that helped was the fact that I would participate in the lost art of tuning a radio to a broadcast station and learning about music, rather than jamming earbuds into my ears and plugging in an iPod. Video may have killed the radio star, but the MP3 player is killing the radio station, and I find it incredibly saddening.

I'm not so sure the MP3 killed the radio station. I suspect it had more to do with their only owning 4 or 5 albums by formulaic "artists" that they played over and over and over and over and over and over and over, with frequent breaks for for a mindless "disc Jockey" to introduce commercials. MP3s were just a defense.

agreed. radio was in the toilet for years. now I'm into internet radio. pandora, I<3 radio and the like. it helps me branch out a little. radio could make a comeback if they could offer new or obscure material. but the scene is also flooded with mediocrity. notice everyone today is suddenly an artist? there are just too many people out there trying these days. its just easier for the corperate world to box up crap and feed it to us via top 40 radio. the populus apparently can't tell the difference anyway. some of my friends do have a way of finding new stuff that is obscure and very good. also I very much like the black keys. somehow they are all over advertising these days but the music is very good. not bad for a cover band that consists of 2 people.

I like the part where the radio guy tells me what's good. Let's have more of that.

"Ooh! The Black Eyed Peas have a new single where they repeat one phrase over two chords for four minutes? Please, Mr. DJ, play it every hour on the hour. What? You have a request show? Black Eyed Peas! Black Eyed Peas!"

Hehe! Yeah. We get that here as well. The button pusher at the Bob Seger station has to take a break every once in a while to let you know they're gonna have a Bob Seger marathon on Saturday.

Oh, boy! I can hardly wait! I haven't heard "Turn The Page" in almost 13 minutes!

Stuff was tiring when it was new 40 years ago.

I used to think of Slob Beegar and Spruce Bingspleen* as the champs of "stupid poetry for stupid people", and I do think it's a market niche that's needed to be filled - as fast as television is turning people dumb (n dumber) it's a HUGE market. Thankfully now, rap music takes care of all the stupid poetry deficiency you could hope for. But what's spooky to me now is that SpongeBruce is touted as a genius lyricist and the "voice of his generation." Like, everyone heard Dylan, realized there was no hope of Going Big so they Went Stupid instead.

Sprung from cages out on highway 9, Chrome wheeled, fuel injected,and steppin' out over the line
h-Oh, Baby this town rips the bones from your back It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap We gotta get out while we're young `Cause tramps like us,
baby we were born to run

Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend I want to guard your dreams and visions
Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims and strap your hands 'cross my engines
h-oh, h-oh indeed.
At least he's improved his game:

Wrecking ball, wrecking ball get out your wrecking ball, wah

Did I ever mention I listen to about 93.675% instrumental music? :icon_scratch:

*(affectionate nicknames of yore**)

**(more like myn, actually)

Whaddaya gonna do? A surprisingly large percentage of the population likes to be told what to think and how to feel. Indeed, without direction, they're lost. So, publicists, promoters and the MainStream Media came to be. They tell everyone Bruce is a great lyricist, and surprise! Everyone thinks he's a great lyricist.

Makes you wonder whose leg you gotta hump to get ahead. I mean, how did Springsteen, Presley, Seger, Spears, Abdul et al qualify for massive infusions of promotional cash/effort? Clearly, that's all it takes because talent isn't an issue. Properly presented, Fred Flintstone or Janet Reno could have been the King/Queen of Rock 'n' Roll.

Cagey said:
Hehe! Yeah. We get that here as well. The button pusher at the Bob Seger station has to take a break every once in a while to let you know they're gonna have a Bob Seger marathon on Saturday.

Oh, boy! I can hardly wait! I haven't heard "Turn The Page" in almost 13 minutes!

Stuff was tiring when it was new 40 years ago.

Well, see, you're in the greater Detroit metropolitan area, and so you get the Bob Seeger blitz.  Out here in Northern California, you can't escape the Journey/Santana juggernaut on the local Classic Rock Radio stations.  At least the various incarnations of Jefferson Airplane/Starship are in remission for the most part.

Now if they would just play an AC/DC song that's not "Back in Black," "You Shook Me," or "Dirty Deeds," or a ZZ Top song that isn't "La Grange", we might be gettin' somewhere.

I would love to hear some "Back in Black," "You Shook Me," or "Dirty Deeds," or a ZZ Top song that isn't "La Grange". I might turn on the radio more than once every 6 months if they'd do that. But, I understand there just isn't any room between Seger songs for that sort of nonsense, what with him being from the Detroit area and all. But, Ted Nugent is local. What would wrong with a tune by him every once in a while? Something touching and insightful, like "Wango Tango" or "Cat Scratch Fever". Could listen to that while re-calibrating the crossbow and oiling the AK-47.

The only Nugent that seems to get played on corporate classic rock stations is that godawful jiive-ass psychedelic Amboy Dukes tune, "Journey to the Center of Your Mind."  And I can't stand Nugent as a general proposition anyway - same old tired blues rock and weiner jokes.  Meh.

Back