Gibson makes me laff

Yes I do believe they used korina in the early V's and exp, and the modern...I have a reissue lorina explorer... And they did use some exotics a few years back in the "Smartwood" Les Pauls...

The seller lists the body back as mahogany. That's the swamp ashiest mahogany I've ever seen  :laughing7:

They've had a line of 'non-endangered wood' guitars for quite some time (10 years?) - nothing new, there...

They could've used a bit of amber tint to that, I think. It might sound really good, though I wish they'd gone all the way to a maple neck too. One of my all-time favorite sounding Gibsons was the all-maple L6S, the bite of the wood went very well with humbuckers. There's probably a reason my left shoulder is an inch lower than the right.... :icon_biggrin:

I remember those "smartwood" gibson's ...was'nt one of them banana tree wood? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Those Smartwood guitars sold like hotcakes, too. 3 week old hotcakes.

I'd seen a few of them over the years - but not being guitarist, and not having engaged one in conversation about them...  :dontknow:

They're apparently still around after a dozen years - so they must sell at least enough of them to justify their existance.

LINK:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/lespaul/smartwood%20studio/

Thats really a great looking Les Paul.  I would never own one just because the top of the headstock makes me think of the Pringles guy's mustache.

I played one of the smatwood's at a music chain store that use to be here in Texas called Mars Music, don't remember the wood, but I do remember it being very light and actually sounded kick ass. But i wasn't about to throw down $1600 for it..I also remember the guy saying Gibby only used trees from the rain forest that had died or fallen on their own..Some of the wood was even donated...

DangerousR6 said:
After 50 yrs Gibson finally figured out that there's more woods out there than just mahogany and flame maple......

Where'd the 50 years come from?  Gibbys been around for more than 100!  And they've used maple, mahogany, birch, BALSA (chromite), poplar, ebony, rosewood, korina, ash, alder, and all those "smartwood" types that I cant even remember.

There was a time in the 70's when they were making alder bolt on guitars - varietals of the S-1 and Marauder.  Poplar has been the sandwhich wood for the ES laminate body guitars, since day one.  Chromite (balsa) has been the center block of the ES body guitars that had center blocks, like the ES137 and ES139, (ES125, ES127, etc etc), with the exception of the ES33x series which had maple blocks.  Korina... we all know korina.  Ash on the RD series, and SG, and LP, and Explorer, and V.  <-- the Voodoo line was all ash, btw.  They had some ash solid bodies in the 70's too.  More bolt on madness from Gibson.  And the list goes on....

Nice guitar, but I think you jumped the gun on the commentary.

=CB= said:
DangerousR6 said:
After 50 yrs Gibson finally figured out that there's more woods out there than just mahogany and flame maple......

Where'd the 50 years come from?  Gibbys been around for more than 100!  And they've used maple, mahogany, birch, BALSA (chromite), poplar, ebony, rosewood, korina, ash, alder, and all those "smartwood" types that I cant even remember.

There was a time in the 70's when they were making alder bolt on guitars - varietals of the S-1 and Marauder.  Poplar has been the sandwhich wood for the ES laminate body guitars, since day one.  Chromite (balsa) has been the center block of the ES body guitars that had center blocks, like the ES137 and ES139, (ES125, ES127, etc etc), with the exception of the ES33x series which had maple blocks.  Korina... we all know korina.  Ash on the RD series, and SG, and LP, and Explorer, and V.  <-- the Voodoo line was all ash, btw.  They had some ash solid bodies in the 70's too.  More bolt on madness from Gibson.  And the list goes on....

Nice guitar, but I think you jumped the gun on the commentary.
If you look back over the past 50 yrs of the les paul, it's mainstay has been mahogany and maple..The "Les Paul" was my main focus....hence the picture.... :icon_biggrin:

Back